The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low budget live recording system
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Talking Low budget live recording system

Hi there,

I am setting a recording system for a club which uses a mixing console with Pre EQ/insert's Direct outs.

i would like to share thought regarding the configuration i thought about:

1. Harddrive recorder (HD24XR) - which takes it's feed from the FOH Direct outs.

2. Monitoring/Backup system - DAW that includes ADAT input's + ADAT sync that will record/backup the Harddrive recorder and will provide the Monitoring facility while recording (The system will have latnecy boutofcourse, will be placed in a quiet room).

My main question regarding this setup (knowing it's not a real redundant system) is how can i run a long ADAT lines (15 meters), Is there any low-budget solution for this issue).

Best regards, Noam Raz.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

You might be interested in these:

http://www.heartechnologies.com/exte...e_extender.htm

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

That sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't call a computer-based system a backup, though. You are a lot less likely to have problems with the HD24 than the laptop. Don't worry about the "quiet place" for the laptop, just keep it close to where you are and avoid the 15 meter walk to make sure your laptop is still trucking.

I think I understand that this is a system to remain in one club, but if you are thinking about taking it other locations then you may want to make up an insert snake for it. TRS on the console end (with tip and ring shorted) and TS on the recorder end. Many consoles do not have direct outs or run post fade.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Hear Teachnologies ADAT extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmeister View Post
You might be interested in these:

http://www.heartechnologies.com/exte...e_extender.htm

Cheers,

Dave.
Thanks, I was not aware that such a thing exists (ADAT extenders).
That's 380$ for 3 ADAT lines excluding the cabling.. Though i am not sure there's another solution.

Regarding the backup (That's not a laptop, my studio's DAW is a PC racked in a case and can handle the tracking very easly, My current laptop is Celeron M and i am not sure it can handle such amount of tracks).
I would love to run DA's for that matter but i cannot be sure that's will be cost effective for this matter.

Shorting the Tip and ring is a brelliant idea, Would do it if such a scenario will appear and require preparing multicables. Actually, nowdays i am preparing multicables for the SR company i usually work for and i have all the tools - thanks.

Best regards, Noam.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamraz View Post
i would like to share thought regarding the configuration i thought about:

1. Harddrive recorder (HD24XR) - which takes it's feed from the FOH Direct outs.
Better check to make sure that FOH board has outputs that are pre-fader, pre-EQ. Many do not. Otherwise you'll capture every EQ and level change that you perform during the actual event.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland View Post
Better check to make sure that FOH board has outputs that are pre-fader, pre-EQ. Many do not. Otherwise you'll capture every EQ and level change that you perform during the actual event.
That's what OP states in his first line: "Pre EQ/insert".
Old 11th March 2007
Gear Maniac

And regarding Backup - wiring.

Hi there again,
Now i am in need for backup solutions for my rig, What's usually you'll do (How would you do a low-budget backup for 24 Tracks without running an Absolute different tracking system - Is it possible?)

Best regards, Noam.
Old 11th March 2007
Lives for gear

What did you end up going with? What do you consider "budget?"
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Low budget Backup system.

What's going on right now is an HD24XR with 8 preamps (ATIs 8MX2) - All other preamps are going to the multitrack Directly from the console's pre-eq/insert/fader Direct outs.

*** Edit ***
Originally i typed "post-eq/insert/fader" - It was an typo (It is pre).
Havent been doing live recordings for long, But i did had the "luck" facing such recordings.
nowdays i do check, And 100% of the times i am reffering to the console's block-diagram to know exactly what i am facing (this is why we have atleast one day for pre-production) - And as Glilliland stated below - So should you guys..
*** Edit ***

Nice addition to the rig will be BSS's DPR 402 in a week (i have the oportunity to switch the DPR 402 for 2 Urei's LA4s - What do you say?).

Anyhow, now my main interest is to set a backup system and i dont really know how to confront this issue.
Second thing in mind is the Multicables & Racking. Last think will be the splitter (Now i use passive, but i know the day that i'll regret that i haven't got any transformators will come...)

Best regards, Noam.
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
That's what OP states in his first line: "Pre EQ/insert".
I missed that in the original post. Still, it's worth his while verifying it. I've seen several instances where I've been told that a set of direct outs were pre-EQ, pre-Fader, yet that information turned out to be false.

And looking above at Noam's most recent post, I note that he has referred to them (now) as "post-eq/insert/fader Direct outs". So either that is a typo, or he has learned that same lesson.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search