The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Traveling with microphones
Old 21st January 2007
Talking Traveling with microphones

I'll be going on the road recording a band for a couple weeks (www.zillamusic.com, for those interested. I have done the recording for all their releases in the last couple years) and this is the first time I have traveled in this situation in a recording capacity. Most of my mics (RE-20, M88, etc, mostly dynamics), I keep in an SKB mic box, the kind with 16 holes in foam. I also have a pair of 414s that I want to use for m/s room mics and Rode NT5s. These live in their cases that they came with, but in this situation, it's a little bit awkward to have to lug around and keep track of myriad cases instead of one convenient box. Is there any reason not to put them in the SKB case with the rest of them? Other suggestions for them and Rode NT5s? The SKB will live with me on the bus, not be packed in the trailer (and yes, everything is insured for professional use! ).

TIA
Edwin
PS If anyone wants to come out and say hello, let me know and I'll get some passes. We're going to SLC, LA, San Diego, etc.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

If the SKB case is doing a decent job, put the 414s in there. I have a Gator case with LDC Neumanns, SDC B&Ks, all kinds of AKG, and TOO many other mics- holds up GREAT on the road. You'll be fine. thumbsup
Old 22nd January 2007
Cool! thanks for the info. I am thinking of also wrapping them in ziploc with some hydroscopic stuff there, or am I being too anal?

Edwin
Old 22nd January 2007
Super Moderator

Ziploc them especailly if the foam in the SKB case is getting old and worn out.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Ziplok baggies are a great way to maintain capsules. Absolutely a good thought. If you're putting them in there directly after use, add a dessicant pack to wick out moisture.
Old 22nd January 2007
Super Moderator

We carry a hair dryer in every truck to dry off mics when applicable.
It's especialy important on wet outdoor events.
Old 22nd January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
We carry a hair dryer in every truck to dry off mics when applicable.
It's especialy important on wet outdoor events.
With LDC's this is a huge NO-NO! I don't know if i'd even allow someone to pull out a hair dryer on my 57's...
Old 22nd January 2007
Super Moderator

You have to be very careful when applying it onto the mics...
I never apply it directly to the capsule. If rain or water has hit the mics I rather hit it with a hair dryer on the lowest setting than leave it as is. YMMV.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I usually keep my mics in their boxes and then put those boxes in a Pellican case. That way, they can take a heck of a beating and you'll never have a problem. Pellican cases are awesome for dellicate gear.

--Ben
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Pelicans are good cases in general, and excellent when it comes to water.

But don't let them get in sub-zero weather. I have seen Pelicans that SHATTERED from cold and a small impact. So be careful if you ship them during winter months.

That really ruined my day.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow... good to know. I live in a warm climate and usually only travel in the summer. Hence, I've never seen that happen.

--Ben
Old 23rd January 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
Pelicans are good cases in general, and excellent when it comes to water.

But don't let them get in sub-zero weather. I have seen Pelicans that SHATTERED from cold and a small impact. So be careful if you ship them during winter months.

That really ruined my day.
Ouch!
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
If the SKB case is doing a decent job, put the 414s in there. I have a Gator case with LDC Neumanns, SDC B&Ks, all kinds of AKG, and TOO many other mics- holds up GREAT on the road. You'll be fine. thumbsup
which gator case are you using?

thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search