The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Holophone H2 Pro 7.1 surround mic discussion
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

Question Holophone H2 Pro 7.1 surround mic discussion

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this microphone. The company I work for just ordered one and is using it on a show soon. We have had meetings debating, but a true test is about to happen and I will report back. I am just anxious to see if any of you have used or tested one. It seems not getting the width and coverage of audience would be problem #1.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...u/confused.gif
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Very Interesting phone, early last year i was planning on buying the soundfield microphone but didn't, how is this different from the surround features of the soundfield? is it based on ambisonics also ?

Sinewave.
Old 8th February 2007
bump. has anyone used any of the Holophone mics?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd be interested in hearing of any experiences with the Holophone too.

Cheers.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I inquired about it and they sent me a demo DVD. My thoughts were that it was competent, though several of the recordings they were using as demo's I felt were not good examples. Ultimately it is in my view very expensive and I think there are better options out there for less money. I would however, suggest that you go to their website and request a demo DVD and draw your own conclusions, I'm sure that it is capable of good results, just not sure it's what I would go fpr personally.

Regards

Roland
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowgames View Post
bump. has anyone used any of the Holophone mics?
I used one about 2 years ago and was really impressed with it. It was loaded with DPA 4060 capsules and gave the most realistic surround I've heard from a single-unit device. They used it 2 or 3 years ago for part of the Superbowl half-time show. It blew away the mix from the stage and was incredibly holographic. I don't know why they don't use it for more large sporting events.
Old 9th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenor39 View Post
I used one about 2 years ago and was really impressed with it. It was loaded with DPA 4060 capsules and gave the most realistic surround I've heard from a single-unit device. They used it 2 or 3 years ago for part of the Superbowl half-time show. It blew away the mix from the stage and was incredibly holographic. I don't know why they don't use it for more large sporting events.
thanks I noticed they have a couple of cut down versions, have you tried the H3-D?

It seems that the H3-D is all that would need unless you are using 7.1 or imax (!) formats.

edit: i see the 3D doesnt use DPA capsules. no wonder its heaps cheaper.
Old 26th March 2009
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

I used the H3D on a piano and guitar and it sounded wicked. So easy to use and great realistic sound. The natural reverb from the room was fantastic and the noise floor was low. I was nervous that it could be a bit noisy but it wasn't at all. I reckon it would be great on drums too. Apparently Dave Grohl uses a Holophone!
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

We'll have the new dpa 5100 surround mic on test in a bit, will let you know my experiences...
DPA Microphones :: DPA Launches 5100 Mobile Surround Microphone at IBC 2008
Old 26th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
We'll have the new dpa 5100 surround mic on test in a bit, will let you know my experiences...
DPA Microphones :: DPA Launches 5100 Mobile Surround Microphone at IBC 2008
I'd be worried someone might sit on it. I am missing a drum throne...

Attached Thumbnails
Holophone H2 Pro 7.1 surround mic discussion-5100.jpg  
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecue View Post
I used the H3D on a piano and guitar and it sounded wicked. So easy to use and great realistic sound. The natural reverb from the room was fantastic and the noise floor was low. I was nervous that it could be a bit noisy but it wasn't at all. I reckon it would be great on drums too. Apparently Dave Grohl uses a Holophone!
My issue with the Holophone is that it uses around £2,000 of DPA mic's, but I believe that it retails for more than three times that, of course if someone knows better I will stand corrected.

Things like the Soundfield can sound fantastic and cost less and offer greater flexibility in my view of course YMMV. The DPA system looks intersting, I wonder how much that is going to sell for?

Regards

Roland
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

About £2500
Old 8th April 2009
Here for the gear

I looked into it and Holophone h2 uses 8 DPA4060 mics in a special array for phase coherence. The DPA version is a rip off. Holophone have been around for a decade already. I found this mix mag review on their website...

http://www.holophone.com/press/Holophone_b.pdf

I am going to buy one to record gigs. I spoke to the sales guy and he told me it was used to record the Grammy's. BTW The Soundfield is another £2k and is not actually a proper 5.1/7.1 system. Plus it is really complicated. I like the simple life.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Head

I have had a H3D for just over a year now and love it. I would definitely like to hear the difference between mine and the DPA version. As a side note, I had one of the surround channels go on me and exhibited a low hum. The mic was 2 months past it's warranty and I called them to see what they could do. Not only did they accept the repair under warranty but they ended up just sending me a brand new unit! Now that's what I call Customer Service! Well worth the money. ( I believe I paid around $1600-1700)
Old 8th April 2009
I have decided for my surround recording needs I'm just going to use an array of traditional microphones... much more flexible, no? then you can actually use the mics for other applications.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Head

well, the cool thing about the holophone is the "holo" graphic aspect to it. It's not just an array of mics but they are built around a design that attempts to create a more natural human experience. What mics/ set up did you decide on?
Old 4th November 2009
Here for the gear

We have 2 H4 Mini 5.1 and 2 H2 Pro 7.1 for sale!!

ALL four mic kits are brand new with warranty!! I am just trying to move them out of inventory. List on the H2 is 6000.00 and the list on the H4 mini is 2,495. I can make you a great deal on these mics.

If you have any questions or anything at all please contact me ASAP.
You can email or call at [email protected] / 512-743-9304

Ask for Kris Fry.
Old 25th June 2017
Here for the gear
I've owned an H3D for years, and adore using it on the odd times I do.
Ive used it to close mic acoustic guitars, sound effects, and a group dance and voice performance art piece that took place over a third of a basketball court.
The writhing mass of wailing voice performers sounded like you were right there.
It is startlingly realistic, and easy to use.
Definitely get the windscreen, and rycote dead cat for outdoor use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search