The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES 2019: New Soyuz Product - The Launcher
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_SoyuzMics View Post
Here is a new video that takes more of a deep dive into The Launcher!

Our friend and YouTuber, Cuckoo, puts it through some serious paces with a:

Sennheiser E935
Shure SM58
Shure SM7B
Rode NT3 (Yes! A condenser!)

And then demonstrates a mix for context.

Check it out HERE

Let us know what you think!
Great video. Very illustrative.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_SoyuzMics View Post
It needs 48v phantom power so The Launcher only works with dynamic and ribbons right now.

You could use an isolated phantom power supply between the mic and The Launcher but we haven't tried that and didn't design this version with condensers in mind.

It could yield some interesting sounds though!
I'd assume it would be fine for a condenser with its own power supply, right? What about into an audio interface like the Focusrite Clarett or something?
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'd assume it would be fine for a condenser with its own power supply, right? What about into an audio interface like the Focusrite Clarett or something?
Yes! We've recently tested it with condensers and it sounds just as fantastic. I would suggest pairing it up with a transformerless condenser and hear how it shapes the top end and body of the mic in a pleasing way.

If you're running into an audio interface, you will need a separate phantom power supply as the Launcher will be using the phantom power from the interface pre.
Old 4 weeks ago
This is pretty exciting, would love to hear some more demo's and A/B tests! I've been wanting to get a fethead or cloudlifter, and I've been looking for a transformer box as well, so this is interesting! Would be able to run line level signals through it as well? Or would that be tricky impedence-wise?
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
This is pretty exciting, would love to hear some more demo's and A/B tests! I've been wanting to get a fethead or cloudlifter, and I've been looking for a transformer box as well, so this is interesting! Would be able to run line level signals through it as well? Or would that be tricky impedence-wise?
You absolutely could do that! Actually, a lot of folks have told us that's half of what they will be using their Launchers for.

We did design this with microphones in mind, so you will need some sort of adapter that can convert line level to mic level (the Shure A15LA is a solid option)

Keep in mind that you will be getting a hefty gain boost as well so depending on what you run into the Launcher, you may need to pad your next input or pad the output of the Launcher.

Practice good gain staging and keep your cables correct and there's a ton of flexibility to be had with this little box!

We 100% encourage experimentation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
really excited for this.

Marc, what are your thoughts on running this BEFORE a unison plugin like a 1073 as opposed to just using the Apollo pre with no unison for clean gain? I really dig the weight and color that this adds in all the examples i’ve heard, but is it meant to be the one stop shop for color? obviously there are no rules, but what are your thoughts on this? i’m thinking this could add the last 10-15% that is missing from the unison models, IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Launcher makes more of a difference than I would have anticipated in the demos I've heard -- sounds really good in those applications. Excited for this!
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
really excited for this.

Marc, what are your thoughts on running this BEFORE a unison plugin like a 1073 as opposed to just using the Apollo pre with no unison for clean gain? I really dig the weight and color that this adds in all the examples i’ve heard, but is it meant to be the one stop shop for color? obviously there are no rules, but what are your thoughts on this? i’m thinking this could add the last 10-15% that is missing from the unison models, IMO.
I just did this on a session last night with the Helios unison pre. It's really fun!

Of course, when you do that, it's not going to sound like what the Unison emulation is intending to, but it shifts the character a bit and sort of becomes its own hybrid thing!

It's kind of hard to "un-hear" it once you try it haha
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep

Here is another Launcher demo!

This time from Ryan at Creative Sound Lab

He examines the build quality and tries the Launcher on:

Shure SM57
Shure SM7B
EV RE-20
Beyerdynamic M88
MXL R40 Ribbon
AEA R88 Stereo Ribbon

Check it out HERE
Old 3 weeks ago
Great video, Ryan does quality stuff. Gotta say the effect is a bit more subtle than I hoped, but still a cool sound for sure (:
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Great video, Ryan does quality stuff. Gotta say the effect is a bit more subtle than I hoped, but still a cool sound for sure (:
Yeah, Ryan is great! Very cool in person too.

I would say that by far the biggest difference and most audible effect the Launcher has to my ears comes from when you start to record multiple layers and build up your track count through it.

With a solo'd A/B, you can hear certainly hear what the Launcher is doing, but if you record a whole songs worth of instruments and vocals through it, it gives you a wildly different (and sweeter) result than without it.

Again, we did design and shape it originally around the SM58/57/7B since those are amongst the most widely used and accessible mics in the world, but it's fun discovering how the sound changes depending on what mic it's paired with or how dynamic of a source you try it on.

Electric guitar has been a favorite for me!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
man, if you guys could make a two channel, powered (rack mount?) version with onboard phantom for condenser mics i would just be such a happy camper. could create an entirely new category of pre-preamps.

cannot WAIT to get my hands on one of these.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Especially if it has an option to bypass the mojo and provide clean gain, for comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
man, if you guys could make a two channel, powered (rack mount?) version with onboard phantom for condenser mics i would just be such a happy camper. could create an entirely new category of pre-preamps.

cannot WAIT to get my hands on one of these.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Do you think this could be used with a powered ribbon mic like the Blue Woodpecker or Samson V R88?

Blessings...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJandKT View Post
Do you think this could be used with a powered ribbon mic like the Blue Woodpecker or Samson V R88?

Blessings...
You would need an external phantom power box in between the mic and the launcher.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pre-ordered! Cannot wait to play with this, especially through the Silver Bullet and VT-4 (SM7B)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Pre-ordered! Cannot wait to play with this, especially through the Silver Bullet and VT-4 (SM7B)
Wait a second .... You have a Fearn VT-4 now? Damn, b0se!

I knew you'd be on The Launcher too. I'm gonna pre-order one soon too! Looks super nice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait a second .... You have a Fearn VT-4 now? Damn, b0se!

I knew you'd be on The Launcher too. I'm gonna pre-order one soon too! Looks super nice.
I wish I did mean the Fearn!

Roland VT-4; a very small (but great) vocoder :¬)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I just preordered mine too! This came at the perfect time because I recently got an iZotope Spire because I was looking for the easiest way to get high quality portable recordings for jotting down ideas on the go. This will likely pair beautifully with it and allow me to get stuff I can actually use beyond just demos. I'm really psyched to start recording stuff in unconventional places (and even outdoors!).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
I just preordered mine too! This came at the perfect time because I recently got an iZotope Spire because I was looking for the easiest way to get high quality portable recordings for jotting down ideas on the go. This will likely pair beautifully with it and allow me to get stuff I can actually use beyond just demos. I'm really psyched to start recording stuff in unconventional places (and even outdoors!).
You might consider an Mixpre 3 since they are very inexpensive for what they do... I was curious about the Spire. How do you like it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
You might consider an Mixpre 3 since they are very inexpensive for what they do... I was curious about the Spire. How do you like it?
I honestly really like the Spire. I haven't had a ton of time with it yet but I was looking for something that would maximize creativity and get the hell out of the way of the process. It's cool to have an app readily available on my phone and the sound quality and ease of use are great. Last weekend I took it out to the park with me and plugged my OP-1 into it and jammed a little bit. It was really fun and bizarre to be able to do that. The built-in click track function is great and you can even use the app without the physical Spire, so you can download it for free and try it out with your phone's built in mic (albeit without the on board effects and lesser quality) to see how you like the workflow. That's what kinda sold me on it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
It does seem like the Launcher is a great tool for a portable clean recorder as a portable color unit that works with a dynamic. Rugged and compact!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just pre-ordered mine! So pumped.

One thing I can't wait to actually try this out on is my Elam 251 clone .... My pres are clean, so it could sound really nice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I want to try this with a FET LDC that I have too. The only problem, how to provide phantom power to both? I was thinking mic into preamp with 48v power, into Launcher, into some interface (I have a Clarett with 48v power). I wonder if that would work. Maybe seems to tedious and complicated, though ....
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I want to try this with a FET LDC that I have too. The only problem, how to provide phantom power to both? I was thinking mic into preamp with 48v power, into Launcher, into some interface (I have a Clarett with 48v power). I wonder if that would work. Maybe seems to tedious and complicated, though ....
Just get an external phantom power box!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just get an external phantom power box!
I'm stupid! :P Great suggestion. I'll look into it.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

if these shipped out today like expected, i'd love to hear anybody's thoughts when they get them...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digg View Post
if these shipped out today like expected, i'd love to hear anybody's thoughts when they get them...
I didn't hear from them (shipping info), but am apparently in the first batch. Fingers crossed!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm guessing they've shipped or are being shipped now, but tracking numbers haven't come up yet from the postal service.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Would this work with a battery powered shotgun mic for field recording?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search