The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Introducing the AEA KU5A Supercardioid Ribbon Microphone Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Introducing the AEA KU5A Supercardioid Ribbon Microphone

Today, AEA is excited to introduce the KU5A.

The supercardioid KU5A breaks new ground in ribbon technology with its acutely focused directionality that rejects bleed from other instruments, room reflections, and loud ambience in the studio and on stage.

Never before has a ribbon mic delivered as much clarity and breadth of sound in a package so fit for both studio and live use. As a near-field ribbon designed for close range recording, the KU5A delivers the low-end heft and pronounced midrange one expects of AEA ribbons and with moderate, manageable proximity effect. Vocalists can sing directly into the grill of the KU5A, as its interior components are the most protected of any in the AEA lineup.

The KU5A is equipped with active electronics, fit for any preamp in the studio and on the road, as well as an integrated high-pass filter to roll off low end in close range recording applications.

The KU5A’s supercardioid polar pattern captures pure, direct sound while rejecting room tone from behind the mic. This feature prevents excessive monitor and audience bleed when tracking musicians live in one room or on stage. Traditional figure-of-8 ribbons, which distinctly incorporate both direct sound and room sound, rely on sharp nulls to reject unwanted bleed.

The KU5A’s end-address directionality and tight supercardioid pattern allow for effortless positioning on snare, toms, and other instruments that may be difficult to access. Signal bleed captured by dynamic mics and condensers often sounds harsh and brittle due to top-end frequencies. The minimal bleed captured by the KU5A sounds more natural as a result of its smooth top end and coheres well in a mix.

Street Price is $999 and will begin shipping in early December. Come visit us at booth #313 during the AES New York 2018 to see it in person.

Learn more about the KU5A at: https://aearibbonmics.com/products/ku5a/

Connect with AEA:
Like AEA on FACEBOOK: AEA Ribbon Mics and Preamps - Home | Facebook
Follow AEA on TWITTER: AEA Ribbon Mics (@ribbonmics) on Twitter
Follow AEA on INSTAGRAM: AEA Ribbon Mics and Preamps (@ribbonmics) • Instagram photos and videos

Last edited by [email protected]; 4 days ago at 03:45 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
That looks great! Can it handle a kick drum?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
That looks great! Can it handle a kick drum?
It can, but it’s not really voiced for a big bass drum. We’ve tried it there multiple times and haven’t had much success. On the other hand, it’s blown us away over and over again on snare!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It can, but it’s not really voiced for a big bass drum. We’ve tried it there multiple times and haven’t had much success. On the other hand, it’s blown us away over and over again on snare!
Ok thanks! What is it voiced for? Vocals?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok thanks! What is it voiced for? Vocals?
It was voiced to cover a lot of sources, but we suspect it to really find it's home on vocals, electric guitars, and snare drums. It's really flexible and is more focused sounding than any of our other ribbons.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

should be great on kick drums and gtrs too

think sound of philly kick and soundgarden gtrs
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
should be great on kick drums and gtrs too

think sound of philly kick and soundgarden gtrs
Above they say not so great on kick
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Above they say not so great on kick
It can handle the SPL, but we personally haven't found it blows us away on any kick drums we've used it on. It's a smaller ribbon, so it won't have the low end of a 44.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hum..that's all we used on kick for 35 years except the occasional AKG D200e ..the bk5 that is..I have the B which rolls at 30..my pop used the A because he said the bass gtr owns the bottom.octaves so he liked it tighter..lol i roll mine 24 dB per octave at 50 for kick
Old 1 week ago
My first thought for these was overheads, will this be at AES?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcenter View Post
My first thought for these was overheads, will this be at AES?
It will indeed!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Just a few questions to see how it fits in the spectrum of Ribbons mics. the transformer is made of what material and what ohms? You have said there is very little proximity effect? And that it does not have the big bottom end of a 44 so where does it start to roll off on the bottom end? Being active is this one of the newer breed of Ribbon mics that has an extended top end over traditional older pre 1970 era ribbon mics?
What size and thickness of ribbon do you use in this?
Sorry about all the questions but for us "Over the big Pond" users we will not have the opportunity to test or see one these in person at any local music store in my state.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Also just found your manual online and it states it does not need Phantom Power in the Specs page but I do believe that it does need 48volt to make it work being an Active mic. Have i got this wrong or is there a mistake on your Specs page? Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m thinking horns?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbari View Post
Just a few questions to see how it fits in the spectrum of Ribbons mics. the transformer is made of what material and what ohms? You have said there is very little proximity effect? And that it does not have the big bottom end of a 44 so where does it start to roll off on the bottom end? Being active is this one of the newer breed of Ribbon mics that has an extended top end over traditional older pre 1970 era ribbon mics?
What size and thickness of ribbon do you use in this?
Sorry about all the questions but for us "Over the big Pond" users we will not have the opportunity to test or see one these in person at any local music store in my state.
It's the same custom-made transformer in all of our active mics. It has a iron core. The nominal output impedance of the mic is 92 ohms.

There is definitely plenty of proximity effect, but not nearly as much as the 44. No other mic on the planet as that much. The 44 starts getting proximity effect at 6 feet away! You can negate some of the proximity effect with the high pass. It was designed so a vocalist could sing with their lips right up against the mic.

There is definitely a slight top end bump with this mic, but it's not a bright as our KU4 or N22.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbari View Post
Also just found your manual online and it states it does not need Phantom Power in the Specs page but I do believe that it does need 48volt to make it work being an Active mic. Have i got this wrong or is there a mistake on your Specs page? Thanks
That's a typo! It's definitely active and requires phantom. That's what the "A" in "KU5A" stands for. We'll get that error fixed.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a typo! It's definitely active and requires phantom. That's what the "A" in "KU5A" stands for. We'll get that error fixed.
Hello Josh,
Since we're speaking about typos..
Can you ask Sound On Sound that did a review of a mic called AEA KU54 if they can correct it to KU5A..?
Or it's an another version of the KU5A?

AEA launch KU54 supercardioid ribbon mic |

Anyway congrats, love your mics!

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 6 days ago at 06:46 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Man this is the most excited I’ve been about a mic in quite some time! AEA continues the hot streak!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Hello Josh,
Since we're speaking about typos..
Can you ask Sound On Sound that did a review of a mic called AEA KU54 if they can correct it to KU5A..?
Or it's an another version of the KU5A?

AEA launch KU54 supercardioid ribbon mic |

Anyway congrats, love your mics!

Cheu
Doh! Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inasilentway View Post
Man this is the most excited I’ve been about a mic in quite some time! AEA continues the hot streak!
Keep an eye out. We have some great content coming.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Does it come in a hard case? Any pictures of that?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

KU5A on vocals and keys/drum machine.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Does it come in a hard case? Any pictures of that?
It does, but I don't have a photo of the finalized case yet. We're waiting on custom foam, etc. When I do, I'll be sure to post it here.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Fantastic video, recording and behind the scenes pictures!

Regarding the photo of the RPQ 500s, I am interested in the settings and would like to know which RPQ is tied to which input. Asking a lot but I know you are a meticulous bunch and likely have session notes.

Quote:
KU5A on vocals and keys/drum machine.

Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

That looks amazing! Christmas can come soon enough this year.

How is it with spoken word, especially narration?

Have you testef it much on solo strings or brass?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Fantastic video, recording and behind the scenes pictures!

Regarding the photo of the RPQ 500s, I am interested in the settings and would like to know which RPQ is tied to which input. Asking a lot but I know you are a meticulous bunch and likely have session notes.
Uh oh. We don't have session notes on that, unfortunately. However, all the audio from the video was printed flat (no EQ/compression) so you're only dealing with the gain from the mic pres. There's obviously some reverb and automation going on, but we try to represent them as neutrally as possible.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchDork View Post
That looks amazing! Christmas can come soon enough this year.

How is it with spoken word, especially narration?

Have you testef it much on solo strings or brass?
I haven't tested it on spoken word or strings yet, but it's been out for beta testing with a number of brass players and they've enjoyed it (or so they tell us).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't tested it on spoken word or strings yet, but it's been out for beta testing with a number of brass players and they've enjoyed it (or so they tell us).
Hey Josh, there’s some discussion in another thread that you might like to respond to, like for example the speculation about whether the frequency response was measured with or without the roll off:

New AEA ribbon mic
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Hey Josh, there’s some discussion in another thread that you might like to respond to, like for example the speculation about whether the frequency response was measured with or without the roll off:

New AEA ribbon mic
On it! Thanks, ND. There are too many threads to keep track of.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
On it! Thanks, ND. There are too many threads to keep track of.
That's what happens when beta testers post videos before the product announcement and your crazy groupies get wind...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search