The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Introducing the AEA KU5A Supercardioid Ribbon Microphone Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
That's what happens when beta testers post videos before the product announcement and your crazy groupies get wind...

That's definitely not the worst problem to have. Let's call it a "controlled leak". Haha.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I haven't tested it on spoken word or strings yet, but it's been out for beta testing with a number of brass players and they've enjoyed it (or so they tell us).
Used a beta version on a classical violinist this summer. Got one of the best violin sounds I've gotten- artist was thrilled as well.

Here's the streaming archive of a performance. The KU5A is on the solo violin. N8s on the rest of the orchestra. DPA 4006 on the tree overhead. The ribbons are playing a large part of the sound you hear here.

YouTube

Also used it on Saxes, clarinet, Trumpets, Trombones, and a few other things... Has been a great mic on everything so far.

--Ben
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Is the KU5A as far in front of the violinist as it appears; 4 or 5’?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Used a beta version on a classical violinist this summer. Got one of the best violin sounds I've gotten- artist was thrilled as well.

Here's the streaming archive of a performance. The KU5A is on the solo violin. N8s on the rest of the orchestra. DPA 4006 on the tree overhead. The ribbons are playing a large part of the sound you hear here.

YouTube

Also used it on Saxes, clarinet, Trumpets, Trombones, and a few other things... Has been a great mic on everything so far.

--Ben
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Is the KU5A as far in front of the violinist as it appears; 4 or 5’?
Not quite that far. Was positioned to be about 3 or 3-1/2 feet away, but the performer moved a lot. Was usually 4 or 4-1/2 feet, but the sound really didn't change when she moved like that. First mic I've had where that's been the case.

It's funny- words like Game Changer are usually hyperbole, but in this case, it really is. I've been pleasantly surprised in every way I've used this mic. It's multipurpose and works well on a host of different situations.

--Ben
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Wait, is the KU5 in the Rycote shockmount? Just making sure since it has an XLR jack on it as well, I take it that was because it was a prototype?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes, that video is using a prototype. Although if my memory is correct, I believe you can remove the yoke if you want to use a shockmount.

-Ben
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Great stuff :-)) but where is the highpass filter selector. I can't see it from the pictures. Is it located externally or inside the mic?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, that video is using a prototype. Although if my memory is correct, I believe you can remove the yoke if you want to use a shockmount.

-Ben
How did the mic behave when the mic stand was bumped or moved? Is it fitted with internal shock suppression or some kind of in circuit cut off in case the ribbon rumbles? Curious if this design has the potential to evolve into a handheld model..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I cannot speak to if it will evolve into a handheld model, but as it exists now, it really does need to be on a stand. When the conductor knocked it, I got a loud bang over my PA system (was an outdoor show so it was amplified). Any mic will be affected by that. In the production versions of the mic, they have done a huge amount to it so you don't have to use a big wind screen like I had on the prototype. Should be a viable mic to use for a wide variety of uses including ones outside without additional protection.

--Ben
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I cannot speak to if it will evolve into a handheld model, but as it exists now, it really does need to be on a stand. When the conductor knocked it, I got a loud bang over my PA system (was an outdoor show so it was amplified). Any mic will be affected by that. In the production versions of the mic, they have done a huge amount to it so you don't have to use a big wind screen like I had on the prototype. Should be a viable mic to use for a wide variety of uses including ones outside without additional protection.

--Ben
That's all good news and to expected. In my experience, most every ribbon type mic is dramatically more affected by a floor thump or rumble and when knocked produces a sound far worse than knocking any other type of mic around. I suppose if they can suppress it to the extent that a singer may happen to touch or fondle the mic during performance and it not go ballistic I'm still interested, mainly for studio but for live use as well. Thanks for sharing your impression and experiences
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

AEA has done a heck of a job in the design. Of course any sensitive mic will have a certain amount of handling noise, but demo it to see if it works for you. When I mic singers with high-end large diaphragm mics in live situations, they don't hold on to the stand. If you do, they will have noise. But they fill a specific need.

In my case, the KU5A filled in the boxes for a bunch of things. I've got 2 of them on order already because I like them so much. But every tool out there works differently for every musician and engineer. The only way you'll know is by trying it.

--Ben
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbontubedude View Post
Great stuff :-)) but where is the highpass filter selector. I can't see it from the pictures. Is it located externally or inside the mic?
The HPF is on the back of the mic, but is recessed so it’s not accidentally changed. You have to use a pencil or similar tool to engage it.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Addict

Great song with KU5 on vocals and snare:

YouTube

Ordered a KU5 and look forward to ship date news.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search