The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

Smooth presence, a detailed midrange and BIG bottom with full proximity effect make this ribbon mic a must have! The AEA R84 is an affordable Large Ribbon Geometry (LRG) microphone suitable for use by the most demanding audio professional or hobbyist.If you are new to ribbons, you are in for a treat! Experienced users have discovered the R84 is an outstanding general-purpose microphone, ideally suited for solo and accent work. It is hard to find an application where this mic does not shine. It is a fine example of the natural sound and figure-8 directional sensitivity a quality ribbon mic delivers. Pure natural sound, just as you hear it when you're placing your mic in the studio. Quick smooth transients that capture the feeling of being there without sounding like a recording. Extended bass and treble that captures the details without shoving anything in your face. A figure-eight pattern that focuses your recording on the sound you want. We believe you will enjoy the confidence this mic inspires. It's a forgiving tool that makes your recording work easier, as it literally sounds good on everything. Try it first and you'll usually like it and find it sits well in the mix. When time is scarce and quality necessary, put the R84 to the test. Our users' experience is that you'll use it more and more (in pairs too!). Then it will start to really grow on you. Features Single-diaphragm with well-controlled,native figure-8 polar pattern Wide-band response from 20 Hz to 20 kHz High null-axis rejection and gain before feedback High SPL capability, 165 dB + above 1 kHz Effortless lows and smooth natural highs Fast, accurate transient reproduction Low self noise Excellent off-axis frequency response Specifications Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz Maximum SPL: 165 + dB SPL above 1 kHz for 1% third harmonic Output Sensitivity: -52 dBv/Pa Output Impedance: 270 Ω nominal Recommended Load: 1.2 kΩ or greater Powering: Not required or recommended Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone. Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 m captive cable Off Axis Response Polar Pattern: Native bi-directional pattern Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, –35 dB null at 90°/ 270° Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0°/ 180° axis, –35 dB null at 90°/ 270° Transducer element Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum Ribbon Width: 4.7 mm Ribbon Length: 59.7 mm

Discussions

Marketing a high end room with mid level gear.

You need a modern website with hi-fi sounding audio showing your best work...make the music easy to turn on...but don't make it autoplay. Let the work speak for itself.

View Post

mics forgiving in the 7-8khz range?

...my voice/room. From memory, here were some mics that piqued my interest: Sennheiser MD441 3U Audio GZ47fet V Violet Amethyst Soyuz 017 AEA R84 (not a condenser, but every sample I’ve heard sounds wonderful) Another thing to consider is pre-A/D compression. This can be a HUGE help in smoothing out harshness on the way in, and for whatever reason, I...

View Post

Looking for a very "mid forward" non-tube vocal microphone for under $1500

If I could only keep one of my mics, it would be my R84.

View Post

Video Guides