The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

ADK Custom Shop “Blue Suede” Z-Mod-67: The Z-Mod-67 has the early 60’s vibe. Almost imperceptibly Mellow. Scoops nasal, sibilance issues in a subtle way. More presence than the 47, and a bit more air than the 47, however the tailored top-end makes it smoother than either the 12 or 251 designs. Very Beatle-esque! It took our design-team five years to put the “DNA” of each Classic Valve Mic into the capsule tonality. We took an additional two years beta-testing Transformer Combinations for each of the five Capsules. We enlisted the help of the most respected ‘bat-ears’ in the recording industry, including the late, great Mike Shipley, Chuck Ainlay, and Ronny Brookshire, etc.
 We ended up selecting an American, a Swedish, an English and a German Transformer builder. Jensen USA Transformer: The Jensen adds a bit of a “smiley face” character to the response of the microphone. Translated, that means a lifted top and bottom. It’s like having a built in sweetening curve on top of the capsule’s response. Our Golden-Ear Engineers all preferred the Jensen in the Z-Mod-251. Lundahl Transformer: Lundahl transformers are known for their flat-frequency-response. So, nothing is hyped here. Our Beta-Testers again were all agreed the Z67 and Z-49 were best when paired with the Lundahl. The Lundahl keeps the top smooth and the perception of the mid-range is that it is increased. The lows stay well behaved – not bloomy. But certainly not a boring choice of transformer! Lundahl is a truly hi-fi tranny. Sowter Transformer: There is just something “magical” that happens with the Sowter and our testers all preferred the Sowter Transformer in Z-Mod-12 or in the Z-Mod-47. The mid-range comes alive in a special fashion! Lehle Transformer: The Lehle is a Custom Transformer with what is considered the most Audiophile Characteristics of all our Transformer Options. The Lehle when combined with the ADK-251 Capsule that adds even more sheen, creating a modern sound that closely emulates the rising top-end of a more modern “800” Series Mic.

Discussions

Female Vocal Mic

U89 is the ideal tenor/soprano vocal microphone (my go-to). The TLM170 is also worthy of strong consideration. A Z67 as mentioned by Michael, has certainly got my attention lately too... and the 414s with the Tim Campbell capsules? There's a reason the waiting list is MONTHS long. Demand is that...

View Post

Chandler REDD microphone

...and that makes it awesome. It's the same way that I see a U47, C12, eLAM 251, Brauner Phantom, Pearlman TM47, ADK Z67, U87, Manley REF Silver and such as great mics. I could use anyone of those mics as my only mic in a session and not be disappointed. Now a source may inform my...

View Post

What vocal mic did you use today

...recording. So this was more like a year ago today, but at least I can post some sound This is an ADK Z67 mic, and I'm pretty sure I used an NPNG preamp and no additional processing during recording. (I'm posting the whole mixed song, which does have some compression, etc. at mix time...

View Post

Reviews

Nobody has reviewed this product yet. Have an opinion?