The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ableton Live Intro vs. Live Lite
Old 21st June 2014
Here for the gear

Ableton Live Intro vs. Live Lite

So...I've checked everywhere for an explanation of this and I can't find it...Maybe I'm just not smart, I don't know.
Anyway, here's the thing. I'm going to get a Novation Launchkey in a few days and noticed that a lot of it mentioned integration with Ableton. I use FL Studio so that worried me for a second, then I saw it would still work with my DAW. Then I noticed that it came with Ableton Live Lite. This interested me because I've lately been hearing more and more people use Ableton (or even Logic/Pro Tools) and less of FL (which I thought was funny considering a few weeks ago IL said they were the most used DAW). So I went to the Ableton website and checked around to see what Lite was. This is where I got confused. I found the page concerning Lite, then at the bottom it had a link to compare Lite with all the other versions - which was what I was looking for. Then, however, it took me to a page where it compared Intro, Standard, and Suite. So then I thought that Intro was the same as Lite, but then after searching a lot to see if they were, I saw some posts say they were different. Well, they hinted at it, but didn't say it outright. So I am totally confused. Maybe it's obvious and I'm just too dumb, but can someone tell me if they're one and the same or if they're different, and if so, how?

Thanks.
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Maniac

Do NOT buy intro of you are getting lite, you'll be wasting your money.
The only real difference I know of is that lite allows 8 tracks and intro allows 16, otherwise plugins are the same in both.

Try lite out if you like it go with standard or suite but intro will offer you nothing of value over lite.
Old 21st June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonklives View Post
Do NOT buy intro of you are getting lite, you'll be wasting your money.
The only real difference I know of is that lite allows 8 tracks and intro allows 16, otherwise plugins are the same in both.

Try lite out if you like it go with standard or suite but intro will offer you nothing of value over lite.

So there aren't any permission differences as far as like program usage or saving projects? Or like what about price, what's the difference in price? Because from my understanding lite is free and Intro is $100, but I'm not sure if that's right.
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Looks Like lite is free but I'm not sure it certainly is if you got it with your midi device.

Live 9 Lite Info https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/
All features https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/features/

Live 9 Intro, Standard, Suite features and comparison https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

When I started I used the free Live 8 that came with my Novation 61SL MKII after about two years the track, sends and effect amount limitations were in my way so I paid the upgrade price to Live 8 standard to get unlimited tracks and effects slots. When Live 9 Standard came out I upgraded to that for the Cytomic effects. Then I added Max4Live for some more cash which is very handy for it's midi and third party free midi effects.
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes, lite totally free as it only comes bundled with hardware like with your keyboard.

The difference is only in name really.
Intro is pretty much just lite people who already have a keyboard and want to give Ableton a try without splashing out for the full package.

As far as I'm aware there are no permission differences, I can save, use 3rd party plugins etc. in lite just as in intro.
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the Live Lite links....downloading now!
Old 23rd June 2014
Here for the gear

Ok thanks for the help! I wasn't really sure if Lite was just some junk thing designed just for advertising or what. But problem solved. Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear Addict

So the only difference between Live Lite and Live Suite is (obviously) suite has way more VSTs, plugins and tracks?

You can do everything on lite that you can on suite?
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear Nut

Live Intro:

https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/features/

Live Lite, Standard, Suite:

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

this seems to be the right information about the differences of all actual versions they have for the moment. i just have standard with a few extra instruments.

edit: i don't know, the important difference seems to be the limitations of 8 and 16 tracks in this lite / intro thing, and the returns, scenes... if you need that. i'm wondering,
"
4 Mono audio input channels
4 Mono audio output channels
"
lite version just works mono, no stereo input? hmm, okay.
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschreiber View Post
Live Intro:

https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/features/

Live Lite, Standard, Suite:

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

this seems to be the right information about the differences of all actual versions they have for the moment. i just have standard with a few extra instruments.

edit: i don't know, the important difference seems to be the limitations of 8 and 16 tracks in this lite / intro thing, and the returns, scenes... if you need that. i'm wondering,
"
4 Mono audio input channels
4 Mono audio output channels
"
lite version just works mono, no stereo input? hmm, okay.
It means 4x mono or 2x stereo.
Old 29th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrunner View Post
So...I've checked everywhere for an explanation of this and I can't find it...Maybe I'm just not smart, I don't know.
Anyway, here's the thing. I'm going to get a Novation Launchkey in a few days and noticed that a lot of it mentioned integration with Ableton. I use FL Studio so that worried me for a second, then I saw it would still work with my DAW. Then I noticed that it came with Ableton Live Lite. This interested me because I've lately been hearing more and more people use Ableton (or even Logic/Pro Tools) and less of FL (which I thought was funny considering a few weeks ago IL said they were the most used DAW). So I went to the Ableton website and checked around to see what Lite was. This is where I got confused. I found the page concerning Lite, then at the bottom it had a link to compare Lite with all the other versions - which was what I was looking for. Then, however, it took me to a page where it compared Intro, Standard, and Suite. So then I thought that Intro was the same as Lite, but then after searching a lot to see if they were, I saw some posts say they were different. Well, they hinted at it, but didn't say it outright. So I am totally confused. Maybe it's obvious and I'm just too dumb, but can someone tell me if they're one and the same or if they're different, and if so, how?

Thanks.
I don't think that with 8 scenes you can do something serious. Intro or Little is to get you into the game and make you buy a bigger version.
Old 28th August 2016
Here for the gear

FL Studio is probably the most widely used and common DAW in terms of numbers but this includes the number of people who use it in home studios. Is you want to go into a professional studio setting, then more than likely, they will be using Pro Yools or Ableton as they are pretty much the industry standard. Also realize that most studios (but not all, by any means) will use MAC rather than PC. Hope this helps. Good luck and play on!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eezywhippet View Post
Also realize that most studios (but not all, by any means) will use MAC rather than PC.
hilarious!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search