The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW to use with Live 9 for mastering/mixing DAW Software
Old 16th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi7777 View Post
I seriously doubt that Bitwig 1.0 will be useless, or in any kind inappropriate for beginners. They had an extensive beta phase and are highly aware that a bugged release will damage the faith of all potential users.

Which plugins? And how is abletons mixing approach in your mastering way?
Doubt it all you want, you don't know it to be true and it won't be known until it's released.

It doesn't make sense to recommend something on nothing stronger than third party sources without having used it yourself.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'd go with bitwig - seriously. Well demo it (make sure you demo it first!) the editing features alone are worth it my book.
Old 16th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I'd go with bitwig - seriously. Well demo it (make sure you demo it first!) the editing features alone are worth it my book.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think dented is right - Ableton Live is fine for mixing and mastering, especially if you are just starting out. Learn it well, use you ears, and try and "hear" what else you might need.

I personally use Live for composing and performing, but use DP7 for mixing and mastering. But, only because I visually like DPs mixing board and metering bridge - extremely easy to adjust things and get levels just right. My favorite all around plug is Metric Halo's Channelstrip3.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I've looked at Bitwig and I really like what I see. Does Bitwig have the features that Live lacks in terms of mixing, mastering and editing. Bitwig also appears to share some of Live's workflow, so if it has these features, I wouldn't need to learn everything from the beginning.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
I think dented is right - Ableton Live is fine for mixing and mastering, especially if you are just starting out. Learn it well, use you ears, and try and "hear" what else you might need.

I personally use Live for composing and performing, but use DP7 for mixing and mastering. But, only because I visually like DPs mixing board and metering bridge - extremely easy to adjust things and get levels just right. My favorite all around plug is Metric Halo's Channelstrip3.
Interesting, would you recommend DP8 over Cubase/Studio One/Bitwig for mixing
and mastering. It looks like it's rather hard to learn for beginners, but if it suits my needs better than those mentioned, I could spend some time with it after learning Live.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post
Thank you, I will buy Live 9 as soon as possible, and then see if I feel some crucial limitations. I'm going slightly off topic here, but are the extra 300 bucks that Suite costs worth it, or should I spend it on plugins instead?
thats is a tough question . . . my experience goes sorta like this: i love operator and sampler, theyre fantastic devices and i use them regularly. some of the sample packs are decent, but most of the time, i use those stock sounds just for composition and off-the-cuff inspiration. my template has my 3 "essential" sounds loaded up - a drum rack with 808s and some of the Live acoustic sample packs, an operator bass sound, and a Live piano. once things get moving along, i usually ditch the Live samples and move into kontakt, alchemy, or LASS. ive been sampling drum sounds from records . . . so . . . idk. i bought the Suite and i use some of it, but the majority of it . . . especially the loops . . . goes unused. also, to get back on the topic of your OP, i use logic for recording and gloss; i like some of the logic stock plugs . . . now that i think about it and try to get my workflow out on the page, its not as linear as i thought haha
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've been using Live for about 6 years, and I do really like it, as I know it inside out and love the workflow. (Currently on v9.1.1) However, I've recently felt I wanted to get out of Live for mixing, as I think it will help with good mixing practice, so I very recently bought Studio One which i'm currently learning.

I've always doubted people who said Live doesn't sound as good as certain other DAWs, but when I compare mixdowns of my tracks between Live and Studio One, Studio One definitely sounds nicer to me. I seems to have a slightly wider soundstage and none of the upper mid harshness I so often fight to get rid of in Live.

These mixdowns are composed of stems created in Live with hardware instruments, careful gain structure, and there is no warping and nothing on the master in either DAW, so the difference can only be in the summing engine IMO.

I know how contentious an issue this is but from being a skeptic, I have to say i'm now convinced there is a difference in my subjective opinion, and I know it's not down to poor gain structure and/or warping issues.

I wish i'd starting mixing in a different DAW years ago, as I have spend many hundreds of hours trying to get rid of that upper harshness Live seems to invoke so often on my tracks. I'm so delighted Studio One fixes the problem.

I'll still be using Live for a lot of composition due to certain great features and workflow, so I can't see myself moving to Studio One entirely. (Although Studio One's Melodyne integration is genius and very useful)

That said, Bitwig may well replace Live for me if it can provide the same plus more workflow and creative benefits. It remains to be seem how it sounds for mixing.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
I've been using Live for about 6 years, and I do really like it, as I know it inside out and love the workflow. (Currently on v9.1.1) However, I've recently felt I wanted to get out of Live for mixing, as I think it will help with good mixing practice, so I very recently bought Studio One which i'm currently learning.

I've always doubted people who said Live doesn't sound as good as certain other DAWs, but when I compare mixdowns of my tracks between Live and Studio One, Studio One definitely sounds nicer to me. I seems to have a slightly wider soundstage and none of the upper mid harshness I so often fight to get rid of in Live.

These mixdowns are composed of stems created in Live with hardware instruments, careful gain structure, and there is no warping and nothing on the master in either DAW, so the difference can only be in the summing engine IMO.

I know how contentious an issue this is but from being a skeptic, I have to say i'm now convinced there is a difference in my subjective opinion, and I know it's not down to poor gain structure and/or warping issues.

I wish i'd starting mixing in a different DAW years ago, as I have spend many hundreds of hours trying to get rid of that upper harshness Live seems to invoke so often on my tracks. I'm so delighted Studio One fixes the problem.

I'll still be using Live for a lot of composition due to certain great features and workflow, so I can't see myself moving to Studio One entirely. (Although Studio One's Melodyne integration is genius and very useful)

That said, Bitwig may well replace Live for me if it can provide the same plus more workflow and creative benefits. It remains to be seem how it sounds for mixing.
Feel like I will be in the same situation in a few years, so my plan is: buy Live 9, Suite if I can afford it and after about a year or so, when I've learned Live inside out (almost, at least), buy a second DAW like Studio One for mixing/mastering. Another possibility is to replace Live and/or the second DAW with Bitwig if it has the necessary features.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Because it lacks a proper mixer (not bad, but not as good as some of the competition ) and lacks some important mastering plugins (planning to eventually buy my own anyway)
Where are you getting these notions? Dont take youtube tutorials as completely professional and mastered. Some have some good tips but most are garbling idiots.

Lives mixer, midi and audio routing is amazing, if i want to split a track into a hi, mid, low multiband deal and sidechain the respective bands aganist its corsonding frequency drum wise I can. Most mixers dont allow this with only two tracks.

And mastering plugins!? Theres no such thing, unless theres a plugin that turns your bedroom into a highly treated masterpeice with tons of awsome outboard hear your better off learning your tools and understanding what mastering is, why its used and how to go about it then buying ozone and slapping on a preset.

With know how, experince and a good monitoring enviroment you could easily come out with a master that could give a big studio a run for its money with the stock ableton fx.

Im not trying to talk down to you or be a dick. Im just trying to dispel myths that will cripple you when you do start.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I personally use Live-Push for production, Studio One 2.6 for mixing, PARIS for recording and Wavelab for Mastering.

Use everything, find out what tools works best for what job.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have mixed and mastered in Ableton many times, without issues.

At this time I produce/mix in Ableton, Master in Studio one.

YMMV!
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I personally use Live-Push for production, Studio One 2.6 for mixing, PARIS for recording and Wavelab for Mastering.

Use everything, find out what tools works best for what job.
I've heard that Wavelab is very outdated and unintuitive. Is that true?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Bigwigs greatest strength in my book is it's mixing features. They eve created it to be a creative production and mixing environment and just seems to do so much right in that regard - the fact that audio and midi data can live in the same track - you can reder in track but just a selection so you can bounce midi to audio and keep both if needed of wanted. I'm still going to demo it and demo it hard but st the moment there's no reason I can see that it's not going to be my primary work environment. Previously I used a live/logic setup and I've sold live and I'd like to ditch logic too if I can. Well see.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's a little limited, but I know it so well and I am very fast on it. As I only use it for mastering I like the limits, it also runs nebula great.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard that Wavelab is very outdated and unintuitive. Is that true?
It's not outdated, and the rest of that statement has to do with opinion. Wavelab is still a go-to for many engineers.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've had no problem mastering in Ableton, let alone mixing, sure the PDC can be a problem, but i try to use my ears more then my eyes… so automation graphics showing something different then what I would want to hear do not effect me very much…. although it can be frustrating at times. I have just gotten used to it. But at your stage in starting up right now, I wouldn't worry about it that much, just learn how to master it as much as possible! Mastering on it is fine as well, my custom mastering chain is a buncha stuff from different companies, and it all seems to work fine! I do have some latency issues with some of the Izotope stuff, but whatever, that is usually last in my chain so it matters little...
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because it lacks a proper mixer (not bad, but not as good as some of the competition ) and lacks some important mastering plugins (planning to eventually buy my own anyway)
I'm sorry but you seem a bit uneducated on the matter. This is not to put to down, only to try and help you learn.

Ableton is absolutely fine for mixing and mastering. Tons of guys mix and master all within live with great success. The tools provided with Live 9 suite are very useful for mastering.

Mid / Side multiband equalizer
Multiband compression
Soft limiter
Glue bus compressor

Any other set of mastering tools you buy will essentially be these same tools with variation in tone and design.

The mixer in ableton is fine. It could be better, but it's no different than any other digital meter really. I suggest you explore mixing and mastering in ableton a bit more before deciding that it isn't up to par with cubase or PT
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting, would you recommend DP8 over Cubase/Studio One/Bitwig for mixing
and mastering. It looks like it's rather hard to learn for beginners, but if it suits my needs better than those mentioned, I could spend some time with it after learning Live.
Never used Studio One or Bitwig. Used Cubase for a little while - like DP better. Just try stuff out and pick what feels right.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Anyone tried Bitwig?
Old 6th April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Anyone tried Bitwig?
I have it and I think its great!

I was sort in the same boat as you about a year ago and didn't know what I needed. Hell, I still am a newbie when it comes to music production since there is just so much to learn. Anyway, when I started I decided to go with Live 9 since it seemed really good for what I needed.

Fast forward to a week ago and after trying out the demo I decided to go ahead and buy Bitwig and support the company.

I really like its Gui compared to Live and there's a few features on there that agree with my workflow. Its only V1 so its going to have less features then Live and yeah it has bugs. But I see a lot of potential with Bitwig and the developers are doing updates very quickly to address the bugs. I'll continue using Live for the time being but I'll probably wind up switching if things continue to move quickly like they are.

Anyway like others said try the demos and go with what feels right to you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search