The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Voyager not working in Ableton Live
Old 1st July 2012
Here for the gear

Moog Voyager not working in Ableton Live

Before I smash my brand new Moog Voyager into pieces, I will make one final attempt to reach out for some help on how to enable a connection between Ableton Live and my Voyager. I am new to analog synths and picked up my Voyager yesterday morning. I have not slept yet because I cannot get it to work and I am going crazy. It can obviously be done, yet I cant find much in the Ableton manual, Voyager manual, or online. If I sound idiotic, please be reminded that analog synths are all new to me.

Here is my situation:

When I plug the Voyager directly into my speakers, it plays beautifully.

If I plug the Voyager into my Roland Quad Capture audio interface with a TRS Cable, the Moog starts to play by itself without me even touching it. It plays a single note which is stuck on repeat every time. I do not have to have anything open on my MacBook Pro for it to start playing.

Lastly, when I try to apply a MIDI connection nothing happens. I can't figure out how to build a connection between the Moog and Ableton. I have tried adjusting EVERYTHING in the preferences and have been up ALL night trying to figure this out. How has everyone else been able to do it without any instruction at all? I must be missing a simple step along the line but so far I am baffled that I waited a month and a half to get this thing and I can't apply it towards anything. It is such a joke to finally have such a masterful piece of equipment in front of me and I am unable to put it to good use. It would be very much appreciated if someone were to give me a hint of advice before I chuck this thing out my car window while I'm on the road. Thank you all for your time.
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

It's broken. I'll take it off your hand no charge!
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

J/k

Just to be clear your basic setup would be:

Audio Output Left/Mono into the Roland input 1 via TRS. (it sounds like may e you are plugging into one of the CV gates if it's triggering notes)

Then midi out from the Roland to Midi in on the Moog (if you're trying to play the Moog with a sequence from Live)

Or midi out from the Moog to Midi in on the Roland (if you are attempting to control a soft synth with the Moog's keyboard)

Or a two way connection using two midi cables where to play notes into Live with the Moog and have live play the notes back on your Moog after you've recorded them.

After that be sure that the Roland is connected properly and with the right drivers installed. If your patching is correct it usually just works. But there may be some issues with the midi channel (Live and Moog should be set to the same channel)

I'm not familiar with Live, but in Logic there is a handy External Midi track that takes care of most of the routing.

Being that MIDI is very rudimentary 80s tech it can be a little frustrating, but eventually it magically works it's self out.
Old 1st July 2012
Here for the gear

Hey Glider, did you use the External Instrument plugin that comes with Live ?
Did you even check if your Interface works with Live ? Driver type,
channel konfiguration etc...? Did you check your midi ports? Switch of everything that has to do with sync. Perhaps your Interface comes with several routing options...check from there if your Interface receives a signal from the Moog...
Old 20th January 2020
Here for the gear
any result on this? I'm having the same issue: not seeing midi light being fired.
Voyager isn't an option as a control surface either.
Tried USB to Midi, plus also running midi from the Metric Halo LIO-8.
No joy sadly...
Old 21st January 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kllutzy View Post
any result on this? I'm having the same issue: not seeing midi light being fired.
Voyager isn't an option as a control surface either.
Tried USB to Midi, plus also running midi from the Metric Halo LIO-8.
No joy sadly...
I solved this by using an SL88 keyboard to trigger the Moog Voyager direct to midi, then routing audio back through the Metric Halo LIO-8. Using Live v10.1.7.
Good luck everyone.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search