The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
We use Ableton Live for... Audio Interfaces
View Poll Results: Live is good for...
Classical Recordings, Live and Instrumentals
1 Votes - 3.03%
Drum & Bass, Big Beat
3 Votes - 9.09%
House, Dance and Electro
13 Votes - 39.39%
Jazz, Fusion and Blues
1 Votes - 3.03%
Latin, Reggae
0 Votes - 0%
Pop and actual Chart Productions
3 Votes - 9.09%
R&B and modern Hip Hop
7 Votes - 21.21%
Rock & Metal
5 Votes - 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

We use Ableton Live for...

Come on guys, some of us are useng Live as their main sequencer, like I do! I also use Melodyne and Reason, but Live is the center of my productions!

Please do all specify which kind of music you record, mix and arrange (or better produce) there!

Also it is nice to read which tools you love inside of live, and what you also use to optimize your sound (third party plug ins, additional sequencers, hardware gear and so on and so on!!!).
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have ableton Live...but i almost never use it ..when I am using it its mostly for fun or to get some fast ideas ...I always crawl back to Logic
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Guru

I hardly ever use it either. I bought it and struggled with it for the purpose of using it with my band in live situations. But it's hard. I definitely don't use it as my sequencer.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use Live for groove manipulation, as a host for GURU now, and am in general- BLOWN AWAY.
It really is an intuitive platform for a songwriting , instant love kinda tool.

I'm bummed that the efx don't work whilst rewiring into Ptools, but I've been happy so far, and I've only scratched the surface.

The uses for LIVE are different for each person, and once you wrap your head around the difference from traditional sequencers, if your creative- I think the sky is the limit.

I definitely need a faster computer to run it with out cpu overs-

I use it much in the same way Shawn Pelton demo's on the Ableton website- quick "roll your own" loop production. I do a quick stems mix in PT of drums , and other stuff I want tweeze in LIVE, and import to live and go to work... then the opposite way back, creating stems into PT.

I highly recommend it. it' s definitely the most flexible and inspiring tool I have at this point.

cz
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone use it to give a bit of zest to tracking/overdub sessions (like a vocalist or soloist)? Back in my pre-DAW days, when I'd be recording someone jamming over a beat (usually for sample extraction afterwards in my case), I liked to do a live dub to inject some vibe and back-and-forth for the performer to groove on; been thinking that using Live might be a way to get back to that.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

I messed with Live for a couple of days. Then I spent three days decompressing, and then it took another two weeks until I could work on music again.

Things like that should come with a warning label.

I was gonna put 'Classical' to mess with you guys.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Okay, did not want to be the first here! I use ableton as my main sequencer! Use it sometimes with reason and sometimes without reason. Always with Kontakt and Korg Legacy Digital Edition, sometimes with Minimonsta and Sonic Synth. Also use a lot of external Pluggies and some of the cool internal FX and the two internal sampling units!

I am happy about the engine's sound! The stability is not perfect, but I experienced the same with Cubase and Logic, so there seems no 100% stable solution, also becuase of the different Plug-In inventors I think.

I just ordered Melodyne and hope to rewire it into Live, also! Any experiences here? Who uses Live with Digital Performer? Heard a lot bad things about that!? Right or wrong?
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use it for DnB mostly, combining live playing with sequenced parts. Sometimes jazz, sometimes punk rock with all live elements. When I first saw it, I had just finished getting comfortable with ProTools, Logic, Acid, Cubase, etc. and thought 'Great, more toys to learn'. After spending an afternoon with it, I was hooked. It is very special software.

My favorite thing to do with Live is to run my Vdrums, a synth and a line out from my bass amp into it. Using a FCB1010 foot controller, I can start and stop clips without my hands.
Also, I have the rim trigger of my ride pad set to start and stop recording the drum clip or track. This way I can play a beat, catch a loop, pick up my bass and do the same with out stopping audio for a second. I run around from drums to bass to keys and try to keep the track evolving as much as possible. I'd like to play a live show this way, I just need to practice more as the term 'boots in the dryer' often pops into my head when loops get slightly off.
I recomend checking out the forums at ableton.com if you haven't already. There are some Live masters over there with tricks you've never thought of. Great software with a great communuty following.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri
Anyone use it to give a bit of zest to tracking/overdub sessions (like a vocalist or soloist)? Back in my pre-DAW days, when I'd be recording someone jamming over a beat (usually for sample extraction afterwards in my case), I liked to do a live dub to inject some vibe and back-and-forth for the performer to groove on; been thinking that using Live might be a way to get back to that.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Yes it works very good in that kind of way to me!
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Guru

Anyone here try to use Live with a BAND??

Am I wrong, but it seems as though it was originally designed to use Live with a band. I see so few people using it in this way. And if it was originally designed with this in mind (and I'm not saying it was, but it seems as though it was) has it failed in that regard? It seems to be used more by DJs and electronic producers, no?

I know there are people who do this, like Mark Isham and several others, but they seem to be far and few between.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

i used to use live as a main sequencer but its not that flexible to make decent fills or handle a lot of audio tracks or MIDI sequencing for orchestra.

now i sketch i deas with it. from jazz to tech trance. then i export em to logic to do more detail work, fills.

its also great for sound design. pitch manipulation on real time is awsome.
and its MIDI mapping should be a standard for ALL DAWS!! just click on mapping, click on what you want to use in LIVE and move or hit on the hardware u r using.
no figuring out environment crap , or DAWs that only map to same brand sequencer. etc (PT)

for live use i use LIVE for DJing. just import a whole song and it will create marker a la rex style so you can loop only one section while u improv with softsynth.

but a negative its the live recording. defenitly hard to grasp. i rather record in logic or PT and then use it in LIVE.
be great if audio could be drag and drop between logic/protools into LIVE when their rewired. but just opening the recording folder in LIVE's browser works fine.

for songwriting is also great. make song on the fly. import a drumloop, record about 5 minutes of guitar , select loops of the recording, use a softsynth for the bass, and arrange em, then record melodies vocal. although i rather do this last step on logic.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

The 'Follow Action' feature should be used in every DAW as well. Action scripting for audio!
Also, on ableton.com, the Artists section has a list of artists using Live in different ways.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

Live is my only sequencer. It is just about perfect for my needs. I use it in the studio to produce my tracks and I use it on the stage to "dj" with. I have used it for automated backing tracks when playing drums and vox. It works the way I do. It needs some rounding out some attention to detail in some respects but it is the only sequencer for me.
Old 30th May 2006
Here for the gear

I used Cubase & Reason for decades. At the beginnig Live seemed ugly to me and a bit bizarre. After reading the the manual i haver never had to switch back to Cubase, Logic or any others i have tested. In fact it scares me...

Doing electronic music is 10 times faster with Live. I also enjoy mixing without looking at a standard mixer pic replication (like when somebody likes eqing without having to see the fr.curve).

All the people, like me, that at some time think Live is awful or complicated should at least try to read the manual. They´d be sooo glad.

I own Live my better music.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've used live for playback on set as a rewire slave with Yo Tools. It's the ability to assign the musical cues to a unique key on my mac keyboard that makes it function for moi!

ez
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

This thread is very interesting to me. I've had the abbreviated copy of LIVE that came with PTLE for a while and I've been told I should try it, but I literally never got ten feet with it.

But from what you guys say it sounds cool. So do you guys like any third party manuals? (and why aren't they called 'second party manuals'?)
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
This thread is very interesting to me. I've had the abbreviated copy of LIVE that came with PTLE for a while and I've been told I should try it, but I literally never got ten feet with it.

But from what you guys say it sounds cool. So do you guys like any third party manuals? (and why aren't they called 'second party manuals'?)
i was the technical editor for "Ableton Live 5 Power!"
and i gotta say... its a very well written and informative secondary manual.
if you want to learn the most about Live and how to use it to its fullest in the least amount of time, its the best way to go.
i say that with all honesty. as an editor, i don't get royalties.

It also comes with a Live 5 CSi Master LE CD-Rom, which is like a lite version of the Live 5 CSi Master CD-Rom. This release is also very helpful, especially for "visual learners".

Also, for the record, I use Live for everything.
Tracking, Arranging, some mixing (though i mix on a console), EVERYTHING.
And its perfectly capable. Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. I know guys that still do all their Midi on ATARI's, so there's no reason that with a 1 or 2 year old computer you can't track, arrange, and mix an entire band's entire album with Live. If you can't, the limitation is with you, sorry to say.
I'll use PT LE only if a client asks for PT compatibility, or if i've got material coming in from PT. But when its up to me, i run Live.
Fades and overdubs are initially much easier with PT, but once you have your head around Live you realize that neither DAW is weaker or stronger with such functions... only different in their implementations.

A few things to keep in mind when diving into Live..
#1) Once you know your way around, its an extremely fast interface.
#2) Its meant for alot of realtime processing, arranging, etc. So there is a CPU hit, learn to work with it and not compare it to DAWs that don't do what Live does. Just because an apple will never taste like an orange, doesn't mean you can't enjoy the Apple.
#3) Yea, the editing isn't always as intuitive as other DAWs, and some say its not as fast... but see #1 regarding 'fast'.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

another great thing about Live...

the audio/midi routing scheme and track delay!

Before i had my console, i was mixing in Live and it was incredibly easy to route tracks out of your interface, go through a Distressor, or 1176, and then back into Live. Using Track Delay (with negative values!) it was then effortless to get everything syncing up due to added interface latency.

Powerful, yet simple in its implementation.
like so many other features in Live.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

What I don't like about Live:

You're stuck with one time signature. Sure there are workarounds, but it tends to be a headache and musically convoluted. If you write music that does sophisticated things (not really) like go from 3/4 to 4/4 to 3/4 to 5/8, you're stuck - well you have to write each clip. Arrggh! It's a friggin' PITA.

For me I like to write what I hear and not rely on chance, which is what makes Live cool, I guess. But after working with it for more than a year I still don't "get it", so what do I know?
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

I use Live and I'm more of a rocker than dj/remix guy. After using Live's session view its hard for me to write in other software.I think its undercredited as songwriting tool.For those unfamiliar with Session view in Live it allows you to do a couple of cool things.First you can record you parts without commiting to an arrangement So you can record your ideas in sections and arrange them later. Also the ability to have parts loop independently is great.So say you have an idea that starts with a 2 bar bass pattern.Than you come up with a drum pattern thats 4 bars and gtr part thats 8 bars long.You don't have to stop and change loop(cycle) length in between each part.It doesn't take that long to change cycle length in other DAW's but in terms of flow and keeping you head in your music Live is great.For someone whose mainly an engineer or editor Live may not be for you but for songwriters I would suggest checking it out.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
another great thing about Live...
the "clips" are great. no matter if just pre set modulations, MIDI, or whole tracks (with MIDI/the synth/sampler/samples/modulations), you can preview it live or drag&drop it.

what´s also great is how you can access every single MIDI/Audio track from all of your songs. awesome, very easy to do......and a killer option for live producing/DJing/recording/remixing.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

What I have experienced, are some troubles running my Pluggies! Especially Sampletank LE, Sonic Synth, Minimonsta and Kontakt 2 seem to hate each other under Live and are crashing with Live 5 if I do some open, close and change to another plug things!

Another funny issue from Live is that I experienced better performance and stability since I have switched to Metric Halo 2882 from my MAudio 410. Not to mention the million lighyears above better audioquality!!!

The big minus: You can only run few tracks. A software like Cubase offer a lot more tracks and to me the bus sound better! At the moment I am thinking of adding Cubase to my system and use live just for remixing and rough audioediting.

Anyone experinced issues using Cubase SX, Melodyne 3, Live 5 and Reason 3 on the same CPU?
Old 12th June 2006
Here for the gear

Yeah, Live 5 is a bit cpu intensive compared to more traditional alternatives ,such as cubase or especially reason. I have sometimes noticed a kind of "muffling" -but very subtle- of the mix bus, but I cannot say for certain without some sort of digital analyzing. Could be my imagination...

All in all I think it works a great for both producing and mixing, provided that you are somewhat restrictive regarding tracks and plugin instances. It probably depends on which kind of producing style you have. But if you like to use millions of overdubs on separate tracks, it might get difficult. There are no folder tracks either. Probably coming in the upcoming version this third quarter.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

For diddling around, nothing beats the ease of Live 5 (that I know of). Also, for just manipulating clips and generating ideas and loops, still great.
Easy I/O routing and an intuitive interface.
I really love the program. But I still ended up getting Cubase SX3 (which is a real beast but goes a lot further).
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I love live. For whatever reason, it always makes me think in a different way about music. I am obsessed with beat repeater, and the "rubberband" audio manipulation. I dare say I use it for some time correction on bass....
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I agree, the intuitivity is phrenomenal to me and it is a really nice to "play" with your tracks in Live! But I am more and more sure, that I need a second main sequencer for more classical approaches!

Here again my question:

Anyone experinced issues using Cubase SX, Melodyne 3, Live 5 and Reason 3 on the same CPU?
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Smile

I use Live in a rock band. We play just kinda straight up rock....but on our last record we had a couple of drum loops at the ends of bridges and things like that...ummm...some cheerleaders etc, the usual stuff.

But we didn't have enough elements to justify putting our drummer back onto ears and a click for a whole song. So when i saw how well the tap tempo function works in live i decided to buy and try that. So now our ring-in keyboard/extra guitar/comedy element guy plays his normal bits and when a loop needs to come in he triggers it off live then taps along with the band which keeps the loop in time with us, as opposed to the other way round. Awesome for freedom of arrangement and tempo's etc....

and then i decided to use all my soft synths in live as opposed to lugging round a triton. So what used to weigh 40 kilos or so (with road case) is now just a laptop, controller keyboard and a digi 002 rack. 20kilos lighter and cheaper on planes! Also VERY stable for us. Never crashed whilst on stage ever. full points to live and rock. two horns

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search