The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
anyone using Ableton Live?
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

anyone using Ableton Live?

I just bought this a few days ago, still getting to grips with it. It's well designed for the most part, clean and uncluttered, yet a few things about it are annyoing (as in most software packages). I'm mostly a ProTools and Reason guy but Live can come in real handy for certain projects, such as jingles and/or similar 'deadline' work. Using it as a multitrack is a definite plus and it can use the Digi001's direct I/O if you have the ASIO driver installed.

I was just wondering how many of you use Live and what your thoughts are about it, like and dislikes, etc. Perhaps we can share some tips and tricks on this thread? The manual is very straight-forward but it's immediately apparent that much of what can be done has been left out of print, leaving the user to discover features by trial and error.

Welcoming any comments on Live!
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: anyone using Ableton Live?

krou

I'm not using it but I'm interested in it.

How are finding the quality of the timestretching and pitchshifting.?..I get this piece of software confused with the Melodyne one, which is more of an elastic pitch package..

anyway, what do you think of it generally? what are the < planned > options for integration with PT?
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Renie,

I've had little time to really dig into the program and learn those hidden features but so far I'm rather impressed. When I was a pc user, I remember Acid offering similar benefits but I find Live to do a better job with elasticizing audio. The effects are also quite impressive for such a package and offer great sound-mangling options. I've been recording audio into it just as I would in PT with great results. I never know how to explain the 'sound engine' of a program, and this is certainly no exception, but I can say that Live sounds very good. There's something about it that makes samples I'm familiar with have more clarity and depth. Weird....

It was a good investment and as I hear it, future upgrades will further vaildate this. I'm hearing rumors of VSTi support (you can only use vst efx at the moment), as well as Mp3 and Soundfont support.

As for integration with ProTools, things will be looking good when Digidesign implements Rewire 2 later this year, which will bridge the two apps quite nicely.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search