The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A bunch of questions about Ableton
Old 28th September 2020
A bunch of questions about Ableton

If this is too many questions for one post, I apologize.

QUESTION 1

Albeton takes a while to load every time I open the application. While the application loads, most time is spent in the“Loading the template Set…” stage. I’m not surprised that my template takes time to load because my template is somewhat elaborate; about 16 tracks, with 3 or 4 plugins each.

Is there anything I can do to expedite the application’s loading time short of making my template less elaborate?

QUESTION 2

My first save of a new project takes a while, as in several minutes. Subsequent saves do not take this long.

Other than the previously noted complexity of my template, is there anything else that might be causing the long save duration?

QUESTION 3

Every time I open Live, I get the following error: “The VST2 Plug-In Custom Folder could not be found. Please select a new folder in Live’s Plug-Ins Preferences.

Could you please advise me on how to correct this without messing anything up?

QUESTION 4

I recently upgraded from Live 9 to Live 10. A bizarre feature of Live 10 that I’m noticing is automatic zooming. That is, when I select a few measures, Live 10 might automatically zoom in the view to those measures. I usually don’t want this, and I end up zooming back out. Can I disable automatic zooming?

QUESTION 5

Command + M triggers key mapping. I don’t like this, I would rather for Command + M to do what it does with virtually every other application—minimize the application’s window. Is there a way to change what Command + M does?

QUESTION 6

In Ableton, you activate Automation mode using the toggle, or the "A" key. (Live 10 and later). Can I disable that the “A” key actives automation? I keep hitting hitting “A” and activating automation by mistake.

QUESTION 7

I often “warp” (stretch) audio manually. I’ve noticed that the lines and numbers in the sample display above the note editor sometimes correspond to the tempo. Sometimes, however, they do not correspond to the tempo. Is there a way I can make the lines and numbers always correspond to the tempo? Doing a right click and setting the sample display's grid to correspond to a particular rhythm does not solve the problem. Warping is a huge part of what I do so any advice on this would be very helpful.

Last edited by messofsound876; 29th September 2020 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
1 & 2: Short of getting a faster SSD, no.
3: Unselect that folder in prefs, unless you want to use one, in which case you select the proper folder in prefs.
4: Don't think you can.
5: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/mchlp2271/mac
6: No
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
6: you don't activate automation with "A", you just hide/show existing automation
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by messofsound876 View Post
If this is too many questions for one post, I apologize.

QUESTION 1

Albeton takes a while to load every time I open the application. While the application loads, most time is spent in the“Loading the template Set…” stage. I’m not surprised that my template takes time to load because my template is somewhat elaborate; about 16 tracks, with 3 or 4 plugins each.

Is there anything I can do to expedite the application’s loading time short of making my template less elaborate?

QUESTION 2

My first save of a new project takes a while, as in several minutes. Subsequent saves do not take this long.

Other than the previously noted complexity of my template, is there anything else that might be causing the long save duration?

QUESTION 3

Every time I open Live, I get the following error: “The VST2 Plug-In Custom Folder could not be found. Please select a new folder in Live’s Plug-Ins Preferences.

Could you please advise me on how to correct this without messing anything up?

QUESTION 4

I recently upgraded from Live 9 to Live 10. A bizarre feature of Live 10 that I’m noticing is automatic zooming. That is, when I select a few measures, Live 10 might automatically zoom in the view to those measures. I usually don’t want this, and I end up zooming back out. Can I disable automatic zooming?

QUESTION 5

Command + M triggers key mapping. I don’t like this, I would rather for Command + M to do what it does with virtually every other application—minimize the application’s window. Is there a way to change what Command + M does?

QUESTION 6

In Ableton, you activate Automation mode using the toggle, or the "A" key. (Live 10 and later). Can I disable that the “A” key actives automation? I keep hitting hitting “A” and activating automation by mistake.

QUESTION 7

I often “warp” (stretch) audio manually. I’ve noticed that the lines and numbers in the sample display above the note editor sometimes correspond to the tempo. Sometimes, however, they do not correspond to the tempo. Is there a way I can make the lines and numbers always correspond to the tempo? Doing a right click and setting the sample display's grid to correspond to a particular rhythm does not solve the problem. Warping is a huge part of what I do so any advice on this would be very helpful.
Following one QUESTION 7 too, I still can't figure that one out. I'd like to turn on the ability in Ableton to ALWAYS match the samples' right BPM without having to check/uncheck warp and subsequently the right BPM. So annoying.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc View Post
Following one QUESTION 7 too, I still can't figure that one out. I'd like to turn on the ability in Ableton to ALWAYS match the samples' right BPM without having to check/uncheck warp and subsequently the right BPM. So annoying.
Yep. Thanks for the bump.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc View Post
Agreed. It's downright odd. I mean loops, also my own, often have a known tempo already. It's in the name, Ableton!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear