The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VST step sequencer to send midi notes
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

VST step sequencer to send midi notes

Hey,

I'm looking for a way to control my external synths with a step sequencer.
Since I'm using Ableton, I have been looking for a way to send the MIDI notes from it to the synth.

It's working great when using a midi controller or a midi clip inside Ableton. I would like to find a way to use a step sequencer (maybe a VST like HY-SEQ16x3v2 or similar) inside Ableton, which would send the midi notes to the external synth.

I've tried using the "external instrument" and different VSTs (BlueArp for example), however they don't seem to output midi, just audio.

Do you have perhaps any suggestions what is the best way to achieve this?

Thank you for your help!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I have looked at a bunch of options and bought this one:

https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-seqcollectionwinmac/

The way you use it is to use two channels, one for the sequencer and one MIDI channel. You set the input of the MIDI channel to the sequencer directly.

Still, I'd prefer a sequencer which can directly sequency notes AND MIDI CC on the same screen. With the SeqCollection you can use MIDI CC as an effect and modulate that per step or with an LFO etc. which is great too.

Also love that you can have different style of sequencers, including Eucledian. You can save presets, randomize everything (this was the most important thing for me, and yet very feq VST's ever let you do it) and it has scale and transpose effects built in.

Great value for the money.

My another favorite is a free one called ML-185 for Max4Live
Attached Thumbnails
VST step sequencer to send midi notes-midi.png  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear