The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton recording latency
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ableton recording latency

Lately, I've been experiencing some latency issues with Ableton when recording.
Using Ableton 10.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro DSP 24.
I've never had this issue before but now, even when recording in a new session, even when 'Low latency monitoring' is ticked, I get a huge amount of latency. This happens even with buffer size set to 64 samples and I can't seem to shake it off. Impossible to record anything. Tried uninstalling and re-installing, tried changing the buffer a few times, clearing the cache folder. Nothing helps.
In Pro tools - everything works great. No latency, same setup.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Old 2 weeks ago
First idea is posting in the Live forum
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
First idea is posting in the Live forum
I thought the Live forum was for live sound and not Ableton Live
Am I missing something?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis.Cole View Post
I thought the Live forum was for live sound and not Ableton Live
Am I missing something?
Only that you originally posted in “so much gear” when we have a dedicated Music Computers forum, and a sub forum for Ableton Live....

And yes there’s a “live sound engineering” forum too...but I thought it was self evident I wasn’t referring to that

(On a side note, is it any wonder people refer to the software as “Ableton” when it’s got such a vague name as “Live”...a bit like they weren’t really thinking of updates when naming Studio One...)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Only that you originally posted in “so much gear” when we have a dedicated Music Computers forum, and a sub forum for Ableton Live....

And yes there’s a “live sound engineering” forum too...but I thought it was self evident I wasn’t referring to that
Oh, thanks I haven't noticed I posted it in So much gear lol

Quote:
(On a side note, is it any wonder people refer to the software as “Ableton” when it’s got such a vague name as “Live”...a bit like they weren’t really thinking of updates when naming Studio One...)
always boggles my mind
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Lately, I've been experiencing some latency issues with Ableton when recording.
Using Ableton 10.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro DSP 24.
I've never had this issue before but now, even when recording in a new session, even when 'Low latency monitoring' is ticked, I get a huge amount of latency. This happens even with buffer size set to 64 samples and I can't seem to shake it off. Impossible to record anything. Tried uninstalling and re-installing, tried changing the buffer a few times, clearing the cache folder. Nothing helps.
In Pro tools - everything works great. No latency, same setup.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Assuming this is experienced latency, not recordings, you need to understand that any plug-in or device with a non-zero latency on the recording tracks will give you that latency as minimum when you use "Reduced latency…". Without "Reduced latency…" it's the plug-in or device on any track with the the highest latency that will dictate your minimum experienced latency, due to Delay compensation.
This of course together with the audio buffer. 512 samples should be suitable.

So do this happen in a new fresh and empty track with a built-in instrument?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've actually been able to resolve this!
The issue is either the audio interface itself or the driver it's using.
Haven't been able to tell which is the exact culprit but I unplugged the interface and plugged in an RME Babyface and - voila! problem solved.

For the sake of my own personal knowledge and understanding, I would still like to check this with another focusrite card that uses the same driver and rule out either the driver or the interface but for now - I'm good
Thanks everyone! Appreciate it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I've actually been able to resolve this!
The issue is either the audio interface itself or the driver it's using.
Haven't been able to tell which is the exact culprit but I unplugged the interface and plugged in an RME Babyface and - voila! problem solved.

For the sake of my own personal knowledge and understanding, I would still like to check this with another focusrite card that uses the same driver and rule out either the driver or the interface but for now - I'm good
Thanks everyone! Appreciate it!
Weird - esp since it works fine in PT.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
…plugged in an RME … problem solved.

Well, that's a classic solution that I've used on more than one occasion for inexplicable problems. Can't be bothered researching the solution, use RME.

In this case it's quite likely there is something missing in the info you've presented. Focusrite or not, latencies shouldn't differ more than a few ms between Pro interfaces. Of course, interfaces do break on occasion too.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Weird - esp since it works fine in PT.
I thought so too.
Something is clashing between Ableton and probably the driver itself.
Still haven't been able to figure it out but at least now I can work\

Quote:
In this case it's quite likely there is something missing in the info you've presented. Focusrite or not, latencies shouldn't differ more than a few ms between Pro interfaces. Of course, interfaces do break on occasion too.
I didn't experience it previously and had this interface for a long time now.
This must be some driver-clashing-related issue.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 1 week ago at 02:51 PM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear