The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton - Turning recorded drums (audio+MIDI) into a software instrument
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear

Ableton - Turning recorded drums (audio+MIDI) into a software instrument

Hi, I'm new here

At most of my band sessions, I've recorded both the audio and MIDI outputs from my Roland TD-4 electronic drum kit, so I have these two "matched" tracks in Ableton. The MIDI seems very detailed, with different notes for the different cymbal regions, etc. - I'd like to be able to tweak the MIDI track and get updated audio using the real TD-4 sounds.

If the TD-4 had a MIDI input port, I could just wire it up as an external instrument, but it doesn't, so I think I want to generate a Drum Rack (or other software instrument) patch from my recorded audio instead.

I was thinking I could make a long recording in which I hit each drum pad at different velocities, slice it up into samples, and configure the Drum Rack manually, but it occurred to me that if this process could be automated it might yield better results (more consistent attack timing, correct setup of velocity ranges, etc.). Is there a tool or Ableton feature that can help with this?

Or has someone already done this work and has a shareable software drum configured with the TD-4's MIDI mappings? (The note-to-drum mappings in Ableton's drum presets seem pretty different from what the Roland uses, so I don't get good results from just dropping the presets onto my MIDI track.)

Any suggestions are appreciated!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear