The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Switching from FL Studio + Deluge to Ableton + Push?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Switching from FL Studio + Deluge to Ableton + Push?

I use FL Studio for about 15 years now. It is my first and only DAW I ever used.

A few years ago I decided to use more hardware and wanted to try to do live performances. This moved me away from the DAW for a while, because FL Studio isn't that focussed on incorporating hardware and playing live, but eventually I concluded that I need to incorporate my DAW again to actually finish songs.

So now I have a hybrid setup: got a Deluge for main sequencing and do all mixing and recording in the DAW with some DAW controllers. I got a couple of hardware synths and fx, but I decided to sell most hardware FX and use software FX instead. I do have a lot of softsynths as well, although I don't use them much anymore.

My current setup works, but it still is kind of a hassle to save/recall a project and sync everything up. Audio editing is just a lot easier in the DAW, so I put all audio etc in the DAW's arranger (playlist) and all note sequences in the Deluge. So effectively, I have 2 arrangers synced up to eachother. This is not very clear when arranging and I have to move back and forth everytime.

Now after many years of ignorance (didn't want to switch DAW, although I knew Ableton was more fitting the bill for my needs) - I decided to seriously look into switching to Ableton and getting a Push2 to replace my Deluge as well.

It seems the Push 2 does everything I want: it feels like a hardware sequencer (similar to the Deluge), but it actually controls the DAW's sequencer. It is even able to record into the Arranger (also similar to Deluge), so I can use 1 arranger for the whole song. The whole project can be saved from within Ableton instead of in the Deluge + FL Studio.

Also, the session view controlled by the Push 2 seems even more capable for live performances than the Deluge, which has clip launching, but it doesn't make full use of the 16x8 grid..

It just seems Ableton has a fast workflow and with Push 2 you can start jamming and recording and eventually make an arrangement of all recorded stuff.

I have a few questions though:

1) Is Ableton able to record any knob/fader movements of my (midi) hardware synths directly into the clips and/or arranger - so after recording it also automatically sends this back as midi to my synths? This is one thing I really like about the Deluge. No need for mapping etc.?

2) How does it work when you have a lot of different one-shot samples? Does each sample have to occupy its own track? Or do you have to use a kit or something for that? What if you want to launch 2 one-shot samples at the same time, do you need to create a new clip for that? It would be great if you could have 1 sample under 1 pad and all in 1 column in session view, being able to launch them simultaneously. But it seems that's not possible, is it?

3) Are there any major drawbacks in using Ableton, for both live performances and arranging/finishing tracks?

4) Do you think I will miss some features of FL Studio and/or Deluge that the Ableton/Push 2 combination doesn't do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search