The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton (recording MPC) = latency? :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ableton (recording MPC) = latency? :(

Hi guys

Having issues with some latency while I recording audio into my ableton. (apogee duet)..

yup, you can adjust the buffersize, samplerate, BUT at the end, there will still be some latency...

Can somebody tell me if is possible to solve this latency?

All the best

beatsbyrash
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsbyrash View Post
Hi guys

Having issues with some latency while I recording audio into my ableton. (apogee duet)..

yup, you can adjust the buffersize, samplerate, BUT at the end, there will still be some latency...

Can somebody tell me if is possible to solve this latency?
Likely, but you don't share the needed info like what you are recording, if sync is used to anything, what processing potentially adding latencies is involved anywhere in your set and so on.

Step one is usually going through the "Setting Up Audio I/O" in Help view inside Live. You've done that?

Step two is to determine if you have actual latency or if Live is placing your recorded audio at the wrong time (typically late)**. If instead the latter and if you're syncing external hardware and recording that you need to:
  • Record with monitor set to "off" in the recording track
  • Possibly adjust Driver Error Compensation
  • If you're sending MIDI notes to this external hardware, use the "External Instrument" device and possibly adjust the Hardware latency settings.

**Basically if the incoming audio is heard in time with local tracks when all is playing back when not recording and later when you are recording the recording still ends up at the wrong place, you don't really have a latency issue, but rather a placement issue you need to solve.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Likely, but you don't share the needed info like what you are recording, if sync is used to anything, what processing potentially adding latencies is involved anywhere in your set and so on.

Step one is usually going through the "Setting Up Audio I/O" in Help view inside Live. You've done that?

Step two is to determine if you have actual latency or if Live is placing your recorded audio at the wrong time (typically late)**. If instead the latter and if you're syncing external hardware and recording that you need to:
  • Record with monitor set to "off" in the recording track
  • Possibly adjust Driver Error Compensation
  • If you're sending MIDI notes to this external hardware, use the "External Instrument" device and possibly adjust the Hardware latency settings.

**Basically if the incoming audio is heard in time with local tracks when all is playing back when not recording and later when you are recording the recording still ends up at the wrong place, you don't really have a latency issue, but rather a placement issue you need to solve.

Thank you so much.

My setup is:

Ableton live + apogee duet + akai mpc 4000.

BUT (record with monitor set to off in the recording track) seems to solve the problem! holy moly!.. just like that!

Do you know how to adjust the driver error compensation the "right way"? I've tried + - but didn't have any effect I guess.?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

BUT (record with monitor set to off in the recording track) seems to solve the problem! holy moly!.. just like that!
Great!

Quote:
Do you know how to adjust the driver error compensation the "right way"? I've tried + - but didn't have any effect I guess.?
Well, when I've done this I did test recordings of drums where I knew where they were supposed to land on the time line and adjusted until they were where they was supposed to be. Mostly when recording external instruments I use the "External Instrument" device and make adjustments there as needed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search