The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jitter-free MIDI Questions: Ableton Push to external gear
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Jitter-free MIDI Questions: Ableton Push to external gear

Hi,

I am using my Push 2 via USB as a MIDI Controller to sequence my AKAI Sampler and VSTi in Ableton at the same time.

As I understand the MIDI notes via USB don't come jitter-free which means the timing of the AKAI won't be as good.

Does that count for Push controlling the VSTi also? Are the VSTi controlled by Push 2 jitter-free or are they only jitter-free when drawing in the notes manually without the USB connection.

Is it possible to use an USAMO Interface to send MIDI from Push out of Ableton to my Sampler jitter-free? Does the USAMO also make the MIDI from Push 2 to the VSTi jitter-free?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Push itself is not sending midi notes, but it is “remotely drawing” into Ableton. It is Ableton that is eventually sending the notes to the VSTi or your external gear. So for the VSTi it is jitter free.

Regarding your external gear: before making your setup unnecessarily complicated by adding a USAMO: try to record some notes, triggering short sounds (like a rim shot) of your AKAI into Ableton, while being sequenced by Ableton. Zoom in on the audio and see how far off the grid they are. Also, see if it is a more or less constant offset (latency) or if it is different for each note. It might be good enough for you. Also lowering the buffer size of your audio interface will improve this.

Usb midi is not the problem, but midi from a DAW (any DAW) will introduce some jitter.

If you need to: Usamo is able to send tight timed midi notes OR midi clock. You can try both, but this will result in jitter again. But you can use Ableton to send clock and Usamo to send notes.

Ableton will send notes to Usamo and you will have to setup the Usamo plugin to send audio from one of your audio interface’s audio outputs to the Usamo hardware, which will then convert it back to midi and send it it the AKAI. It takes some effort to set this up though, but once set and saved as a template, it works well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I got the audio a lot closer to zero using the delay function but there is still slight differences recording from the AKAI. I think I will get the USAMO eventually.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
Usamo is able to send tight timed midi notes OR midi clock. You can try both, but this will result in jitter again. But you can use Ableton to send clock and Usamo to send notes.
I wasn't aware of this product. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search