The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Comping Tool
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

New Comping Tool

Helloo,

I've made a little Max for Live device that takes some of the pain out of comping in Ableton.

The GIF in the description explains what it does far better than I could.

https://maxforlive.com/library/devic.../comping-takes

Enjoy!

Last edited by Messinki; 2 weeks ago at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Changed URL
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Nice tool! Thanks man, appreciate it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yep. Very clever little tool
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

This is amazing and so useful! thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cheers! I'm about to add a feature for grouping different sets of takes together, for multi mic recordings. any other ideas are welcome
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messinki View Post
Cheers! I'm about to add a feature for grouping different sets of takes together, for multi mic recordings. any other ideas are welcome
I was actually thinking about that feature. It could be GREAT ! And a true game changer for Ableton Live.

But I'm thinking about the workflow, and still don't figure out how to manage such a feature in a multi-mic recording situation.

For exemple a drums recording : you've got kick, snare, OH left and OH right.
How do you record take after take without dragging & dropping each take to new tracks ?
Do you think you could find a way to group tracks based on their name ?
For exemple KICK #1 , KICK#2 , KICK#3 and so on ?

So when I select the KICK #2 track for recording, it arms it and the SNARE #2 , OH left #2 and OH right #2 ?

Or (even better idea) by using the grouping function in Live, so it selects and arms for recording all the tracks within a group when you select it (excluding the others of course) ?
In this case, you just need to set up your 4 tracks for recording, group them and copy them 10 or 20 times, rename them #1 , #2 , #3 etc.
Each group can than be a multitrack take...

Anyway, it could be a game changer for Live : it's actually the only feature I'm missing in Live...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
I was actually thinking about that feature. It could be GREAT ! And a true game changer for Ableton Live.

But I'm thinking about the workflow, and still don't figure out how to manage such a feature in a multi-mic recording situation.

For exemple a drums recording : you've got kick, snare, OH left and OH right.
How do you record take after take without dragging & dropping each take to new tracks ?
Do you think you could find a way to group tracks based on their name ?
For exemple KICK #1 , KICK#2 , KICK#3 and so on ?

So when I select the KICK #2 track for recording, it arms it and the SNARE #2 , OH left #2 and OH right #2 ?

Or (even better idea) by using the grouping function in Live, so it selects and arms for recording all the tracks within a group when you select it (excluding the others of course) ?
In this case, you just need to set up your 4 tracks for recording, group them and copy them 10 or 20 times, rename them #1 , #2 , #3 etc.
Each group can than be a multitrack take...

Anyway, it could be a game changer for Live : it's actually the only feature I'm missing in Live...
Yeah this is sort of what I'm implementing atm, it's most of the way there, will hopefully find time to do it within a week or so.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Done! now if you multiple devices with the same names, they work in sync with each other

Link is the same:

https://maxforlive.com/library/devic.../comping-takes
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi Messinki

Actually I would have gone the opposite way with an update (maybe my previous post was confusing).

What you changed in your recent update is that when you've got numerous groups with the same track names inside (like for exemple drums takes groups with kick, snare and OH tracks in it), your device is linking the tracks with the same name.
But it means that if you want to record multiple takes of drums, you need to group the instruments/channels, not the takes.
So you've got a kick group, a snare group, an OH group. Each with tracks numbered by take (Kick 1, Kick 2, Kick 3).

To me it doesn't make sense in a multitrack recording session (at least for drums, where you don't exactly mix the best kick take with the best snare take but you need to choose the best take of the whole kit).

I think it could be better (and much simpler for you) just to enable the recording (arm) for each channel in the selected group.
So each group is called Take 1, Take 2, Take 3 etc. etc. And each group contains the same channel set-up (input 1 for kick, input 2 for snare, inputs 3-4 for OH) that you can replicate in 2 clicks if you want to record another take.

For each take, you should just need to select the group and each track in the group would be armed and ready to record. No matter the name of the tracks (so I guess much simpler for you to code).
You could have a version of your device for channel, and another version for group (or the option included in the GUI).

Or maybe I didn't understand your point (I'm too much into drums recording at the moment)

Anyway, it's a great device and i'm really pleased you did that little and clever piece of code and shared with the community !
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
Hi Messinki

Actually I would have gone the opposite way with an update (maybe my previous post was confusing).

What you changed in your recent update is that when you've got numerous groups with the same track names inside (like for exemple drums takes groups with kick, snare and OH tracks in it), your device is linking the tracks with the same name.
But it means that if you want to record multiple takes of drums, you need to group the instruments/channels, not the takes.
So you've got a kick group, a snare group, an OH group. Each with tracks numbered by take (Kick 1, Kick 2, Kick 3).

To me it doesn't make sense in a multitrack recording session (at least for drums, where you don't exactly mix the best kick take with the best snare take but you need to choose the best take of the whole kit).

I think it could be better (and much simpler for you) just to enable the recording (arm) for each channel in the selected group.
So each group is called Take 1, Take 2, Take 3 etc. etc. And each group contains the same channel set-up (input 1 for kick, input 2 for snare, inputs 3-4 for OH) that you can replicate in 2 clicks if you want to record another take.

For each take, you should just need to select the group and each track in the group would be armed and ready to record. No matter the name of the tracks (so I guess much simpler for you to code).
You could have a version of your device for channel, and another version for group (or the option included in the GUI).

Or maybe I didn't understand your point (I'm too much into drums recording at the moment)

Anyway, it's a great device and i'm really pleased you did that little and clever piece of code and shared with the community !
Good point, although I have been making this with drum tracking in mind, basing it off the way logic deals with takes. This way you have a group of kicks, snares, etc which is helpful mixing-wise as you can place an eq on the whole group and automatically hear every take with the same effects, although I suppose editing takes would be easier if things were done as you are suggesting. I'll have a think about it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messinki View Post
Good point, although I have been making this with drum tracking in mind, basing it off the way logic deals with takes. This way you have a group of kicks, snares, etc which is helpful mixing-wise as you can place an eq on the whole group and automatically hear every take with the same effects, although I suppose editing takes would be easier if things were done as you are suggesting. I'll have a think about it!
Ah ah... Actually you've got a point too : I didn't think about the interest of a group of same channels (like snare) : so you can eq all the snare takes and compare them while starting your mix !

The two strategies are both valid, depending on the way you are working.
In fact, it depends from the purpose of your device : help for recording multitracks, or help for mixing multitracks ?

Personally, I would choose the best take first (best vibe, best groove, etc. etc.), and then I would start to process. But I can understand someone who want to mix first and then choose the best take according to how it sounds processed.

I think Live is lacking more in the recording area (specially the comping side), but it's only my point of view.
It's a pity we don't have other users telling their view about that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Maybe two version ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search