The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I can see and hear input from my interface but Ableton records nothing
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I can see and hear input from my interface but Ableton records nothing

Hey there!

I have a horrible problem and none of the solutions I tried seem to be working. I see no other way than to turn to you and bow down in quest of advice.

I am trying to record some drums into Ableton Live 10. All of my inputs work perfectly and I had no problem recording them... EXCEPT for inputs 7 and 8. I can see that the analog inputs and microphones are working properly because I can see and hear that input being processed in my interface's software (RME TotalMix).

On the other hand, Ableton detects absolutely no signal (on inputs 7 and 8). Whenever I hit record, the wave is an absolute straight line of empty void.

My interface is an RME Fireface 800 and I already enabled only the front XLR inputs, in case Ableton was having trouble choosing between them.

Here's a screenshot of my input configuration. You will see that inputs 7 and 8 are in the same "spot". I tried disabling them, restarting Ableton and enabling them again, but nothing worked so far.

Thank you for your help.

EDIT: Turns out it was a loopback problem, see last post!

Last edited by OrphicTrench; 1 week ago at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Found a solution
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Here's a screenshot of the TotalMix panel, but please note that software inputs are normally independent of the mixes made on TotalMix. For example: if I lower the level on one input, the software will still be getting the full level. TotalMix is more a monitoring and submix tool than a configuration tool.

And here's a screenshot of the real configuration panel:

Inputs 7 and 8 were set to "Front and rear", but changed them to "Front" after noticing that Ableton wasn't recognizing them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Turns out that I had the Loopback option enabled on channels 7/8, which routes the audio automatically to hardware inputs 7/8. That's why I could monitor sounds on TotalMix but my DAW wasn't detecting any. Hope this helps if anyone stumbles on the same problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search