The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Changing BPM of Audio in Ableton
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Changing BPM of Audio in Ableton

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to Ableton and also only just started producing, I used Logic for a little bit but then my Mac had wine spilt over it

Anyway, as you can see in the step by step photos, i'm trying to change the bpm of some audio.

I'm producing a Liquid DnB track at 174bpm, therefore I would like the vocals at half the speed (87bpm). When I change the bpm to 87 it actually makes the audio file smaller when surely it should be larger if its slowing the tempo down?

I'm not sure if it shows my photos in order but if they're not then this is what i've done (if you can see the file name it helps, not sure if you can as i'm new to this forum) :-

Shown overall BPM of track
Shown BPM of the audio file when I click on it
Audio file size
Changed BPM
New audio file size

It doesn't sound right either. I'm probably doing omething really stupid, but can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I do this correctly?

Kind Regards
Cheezy1 X
Attached Thumbnails
Changing BPM of Audio in Ableton-ableton-4-change-bpm.png   Changing BPM of Audio in Ableton-ableton-3-size-audio.png   Changing BPM of Audio in Ableton-ableton-2-samples-bpm.png   Changing BPM of Audio in Ableton-ableton-5-size-audio.png  
Attached Images
Changing BPM of Audio in Ableton-ableton-1-overall-bpm.png 
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The setting in the Clip is supposed to be the original BPM of the raw audio.

By setting it to 87 you told Live that Clip is 87 BPM, not whatever it auto-detected. Since the Set is set to 174 BPM, Live plays that "87 BPM" audio double speed to match that 174.

If you want it to slow down to 1/2 speed you got to set the Clip BPM to double, not half.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thankyou mate.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'm pretty sure the original BPM of the audio is 80bpm? So how would I make this half time in the clip settings?

Cheers mate, sorry struggling to get my head round ableton.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
If you have 80 BPM Audio Clip in a 80 BPM Set, if you set that Clip to double that (160) then it will play 1/2 the speed.

When you see the audio getting shorter when you mess with the Clip's BPM it is speeding up, if it gets longer it is slowing down.

Note that the Clips have ":2" (divide by 2) and "*2" (multiply by 2) buttons under BPM, for easily halving and doubling BPM.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, so if the live set is 174 bpm, but the original track audio track is 80bpm, what would I change the bpm too to half it ?

Sorry to sound so so stupid haha
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy1 View Post
Thanks, so if the live set is 174 bpm, but the original track audio track is 80bpm, what would I change the bpm too to half it ?

Sorry to sound so so stupid haha
The clip bpm should always be the original bpm or an even multiple of it. So if the original is 80.0 bpm, that would be 40 (divided by 2), 160 (multiplied with 2) and so on. I suppose one can experiment with triplet time and values like that. I've occasionally done that within a single bar in (correctly) warped clips.

Once Live has the actual original tempo it will adjust to the set current tempo accordingly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy1 View Post

Drop that 80 BPM audio in the 174 BPM Set.

(It may detect it as 160 BPM (double of 80), as it is closer to the Set's BPM.)

Then just click the "*2" button. It will play half-speed.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/au...arping-samples
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
Drop that 80 BPM audio in the 174 BPM Set.

(It may detect it as 160 BPM (double of 80), as it is closer to the Set's BPM.)

Then just click the "*2" button. It will play half-speed.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/au...arping-samples
I just would like to add that appallingly often Live is just plain off. The only completely reliable way of not having to change the clip bpm, that I've found anyway, is to change the bpm of the set to the same as the clip (if the bpm is known at that point) when dropping that in, then changing back to whatever I was using. Interestingly this is never an issue when converting an audio clip to MIDI. Live gets most timing and tempo nuances quite correctly.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks man, still sounds abit out, but I dont wanna pester you for any more advice!

Nice one x
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I imported the audio again, and when I click on it it says this is the seg bpm is 229.76, not 80 or 160 :(?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I missed you were talking about vocals.

Software can't auto-detect BPM well in vocal stems.

Software relies on clear patterns on the audio to detect BPM, has to have clear notes and drum hits.

With vocals, drones, SFX and other audio that doesn't really have a clear rhythmic pattern, software can't detect a clear rhythmic pattern.

Maybe you should just read the manual:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/au...o-and-warping/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
I missed you were talking about vocals.

Software can't auto-detect BPM well in vocal stems.

Software relies on clear patterns on the audio to detect BPM, has to have clear notes and drum hits.

With vocals, drones, SFX and other audio that doesn't really have a clear rhythmic pattern, software can't detect a clear rhythmic pattern.

Maybe you should just read the manual:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/au...o-and-warping/
Considering some text in the name of a scene can trigger a new bpm, then expecting Live to understand for instance "80bpm" in the name of a source file, really shouldn't' be unreasonable. I don't have many loops, but almost all of them have the actual bpm in the name.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search