The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mystery import track feature in Live 10
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear
Mystery import track feature in Live 10

I had something wonderful and somewhat inexplicable happen. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I've used Auxy as a sketch tool for a while. It exports directly to a Live project that includes MIDI and audio renditions of the sounds in Auxy. Typically I'm not using the audio at all.

I typically start with my own template in Live containing my mixer routings, instruments and base channel effects laid out. So I'd save my template into the project folder, that Auxy has created and then I proceed to import the MIDI, which are clips in both session and in arrangement, from the Auxy-created set. These MIDI clips are more less guides for me and I typically recreate these in session. They're good starting points though, outlining the song idea.

Because I want the clips in arrangement as well, I import the whole track and then copy the clips to a suitable instrument track in my template. Today I noticed something odd at the first import step.

In one newly imported track I've found, not the devices and plug-ins that are in my MIDI track default, but a rack with one of my fav synths currently, the free TAL Noisemaker not with the default sound preset, but with a suitable preset for the part.

And then in the second imported track, a melodic abrasive bassy lead I found another fav synth Obxd, with a very suitable preset, a brass sound and not even in the factory presets, but one of the banks I've added later. This bank do not appear if I add the plug-in to a set. You have to load it.

Not only that, but in both there are also my fav channel EQ: Waves V-EQ3 with a suitable preset for the part. The pad got "strings" and the bassy lead got "lead vocal".

What the…??? What is this? It's wonderful, but what mechanism is doing this? I'd assume it must be Live, but how? Has this feature been announced and I missed it? Can you influence it somehow? Perhaps Live is remembering previous imports of similar tracks? Mind blown anyway.

Any ideas about what this could be?

Last edited by Mikael B; 29th November 2019 at 07:15 AM..
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
I had something wonderful and somewhat inexplicable happen. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I've used Auxy as a sketch tool for a while. It exports directly to a Live project that includes MIDI and audio renditions of the sounds in Auxy. Typically I'm not using the audio at all.

I typically start with my own template in Live containing my mixer routings, instruments and base channel effects laid out. So I'd save my template into the project folder, that Auxy has created and then I proceed to import the MIDI, which are clips in both session and in arrangement, from the Auxy-created set. These MIDI clips are more less guides for me and I typically recreate these in session. They're good starting points though, outlining the song idea.

Because I want the clips in arrangement as well, I import the whole track and then copy the clips to a suitable instrument track in my template. Today I noticed something odd at the first import step.

In one newly imported track I've found, not the devices and plug-ins that are in my MIDI track default, but a rack with one of my fav synths currently, the free TAL Noisemaker not with the default sound preset, but with a suitable preset for the part.

And then in the second imported track, a melodic abrasive bassy lead I found another fav synth Obxd, with a very suitable preset, a brass sound and not even in the factory presets, but one of the banks I've added later. This bank do not appear if I add the plug-in to a set. You have to load it.

Not only that, but in both there are also my fav channel EQ: Waves V-EQ3 with a suitable preset for the part. The pad got "strings" and the bassy lead got "lead vocal".

What the…??? What is this? It's wonderful, but what mechanism is doing this? I'd assume it must be Live, but how? Has this feature been announced and I missed it? Can you influence it somehow? Perhaps Live is remembering previous imports of similar tracks? Mind blown anyway.

Any ideas about what this could be?
It is reproducible? Seems like coincidence/bug.
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxdsm View Post
It is reproducible? Seems like coincidence/bug.
Sadly, when I tried with another export I get empty MIDI tracks as expected, so this seems highly unlikely to be a feature. When I got more time I'm going to look at the export set involved again. I don't think I have any indication I've opened the set at any point beforehand to work with it, but I do have the original in Auxy. All files can be analysed, so I should be able to tell if the imported set is different. I can look over any preset systems I might have installed as well. I could have inadvertently triggered some automation.

For now, I have to consider this one a fluke. However, I think I'm going to suggest it as a feature to the Auxy team. It could simply be a user feature to tie specific groups or presets in Auxy to specific user selectable presets/plug-ins in Live. You'd need some tool on the side of Live to get the data. This could make the Auxy to finished product workflow even faster.

Of course, the API (or formats) Ableton supplies developers with for building Live sets would have to allow for this. I'm not familiar with those systems.

And also, could be the advantage is too small for many. But that's not my call.

Last edited by Mikael B; 8th December 2019 at 04:41 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search