The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Syncing one clips length and play position to another.
Old 3rd November 2019
Here for the gear

Syncing one clips length and play position to another.

Hi there.
Apologies if the solution to this is obvious. It’s hard to even describe the problem let alone and find a solution to what I’m looking for. So my google and forum searches have come to nothing so far.

When performing live I have been using a boss RC 300. And one function the I’m trying to achieve within live that is very straightforward on the RC 300 is if I’ve recorded one loop, then hit overdub, then the overdub (with a different instrument or sound) begins at the location of the loop where I hit record but still stays within the original loop length and play position. In Ableton Live, I’d like to achieve the same thing, But have the subsequent parts be played on seperate tracks.
For example, in a live performance situation, let’s say the first clip is fairly long, perhaps a 32 bar song structure on a midi piano track. Then is there a way to automatically start recording another clip which follows the same play position and length as the original clip. At the moment after I’ve recorded the first clip it might take a few seconds to cue up the second clip. Which might be either a bass part, or another keyboard part. Let’s say by the time I’ve hit record on the next track/clip it might be bar three or four of the cycle. Is there a way to select a different track and immediately start recording at the end of one clip recording? I use a KMI softstep 2, Touchable pro iPad app with a MacBook Pro and Apogee Element

Also, after the initial 32 bar clip has been recorded, is it possible to start recording another clip which goes from say bar 17 to the end of bar 32, but automatically contains the first 16 bars of silence so that when it loops it is in sync with the original. I know you can manually edit the length of clips but as I’d be in a live performance situation I’m trying to figure out how to perform these tasks with just one press per function on the Soft step 2 if possible.

I hope this make sense and many thanks if you’ve read this far! Any help or ideas are much appreciated!
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear
I just skimmed your request, but it would seem you could try to Record directly into Arrangement, possibly looping a section.

If you need to do in Session you likely need some kind of Max For Live device or similar that can control play position from a currently playing clip in focus. I'm not aware of a specific device, but it doesn't feel like it's out of the question this could exist.
Old 3rd November 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for your reply! I’ll give those a try.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search