The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live and DSP efficiency
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Nut

Live and DSP efficiency

Why does Live max out my computers resources in a way no other DAW does?

I love the workflow but have to be in CPU saving mode from the start in a way I never had to with Reaper or Logic before that.

How on earth can Live have come this far, have such a big user base and still be so darned inefficient?
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusFaber View Post
Why does Live max out my computers resources in a way no other DAW does?

I love the workflow but have to be in CPU saving mode from the start in a way I never had to with Reaper or Logic before that.

How on earth can Live have come this far, have such a big user base and still be so darned inefficient?
Because it's not like that for everyone using every plug-ins. I only have one such plug-in that I'd like to use more. You do need a powerful quadcore minimum and a great audio interface with updated drivers suited for your OS.

Reaper and Logic benefit from outrageously great and well-written code. They're both great, but Live isn't a slouch if you know how to set up a music computer well. You can always throw power on this kind of problem. It's a choice as with any powerful tool, you need the required hardware.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get the info on what computer resources you needed to get for x combinations of 100 of your most used plug-ins in all of the main DAWs?

What you can do now is to use portable test sets and run these on different machines to see where the pain points are. If one plan to spend $3000 and upwards that may be a quite healthy first step. Or you ask someone who has done this already (and hope it applies to your setup).

Last edited by Mikael B; 29th October 2019 at 03:00 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search