The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio crackles in Ableton 10 with low CPU Usage
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
Also, Windows 10 1909 is stated with a fix to use as they describe as this:

•A CPU may have multiple “favored” cores (logical processors of the highest available scheduling class). To provide better performance and reliability, we have implemented a rotation policy that distributes work more fairly among these favored cores.

So maybe a change to MMCSS service which can effect DAW performance (good or bad sometimes) due to the high core count CPU's we have currently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multim...eduler_Service

Its hard to say; according to this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...p-at-home-1909
It doesn't go in-depth to far as to where the changes are being made.
Hopefully it will help some underlying issues (if their windows related) for
some of the Ryzen users here....
Interesting. I'll make some more tests once I update to 1909. Apparently it's coming out at in a couple of weeks.
Old 28th October 2019
In Live 10 Ableton has changed some things. By default it will chooses the integrated graphics cards (using CPU) because that uses less battery power for laptop users. Many plugins will push Live to use the Discrete Graphics card (GPU) though, but if not the integrated graphics card is used which is prone to crackle the signal.

I am using the gfzCardStatus utility so I can push Live to use my Discrete Graphics card. Live saver

So make sure your using Discrete Graphics card with Live.
Old 28th October 2019
Here for the gear

I recently got same issues with clicks and pops everywhere, from production to watching videos. CPU usage was always low, and latency monitor led me to believe it was a graphics driver problem. But, after some trial and error, which took days, it turned out it was a service that got installed with some software coming with a new external hard drive. In my case it was western digital. Disabled it - problem gone!
From time to time you need to check the task manager, startup apps (msconfig) and services, and disable all the junk that inevitably gets installed.
Hope this helps someone.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaphorst View Post
In Live 10 Ableton has changed some things. By default it will chooses the integrated graphics cards (using CPU) because that uses less battery power for laptop users. Many plugins will push Live to use the Discrete Graphics card (GPU) though, but if not the integrated graphics card is used which is prone to crackle the signal.

I am using the gfzCardStatus utility so I can push Live to use my Discrete Graphics card. Live saver

Another option for users without a discrete GPU is to reduce the fps using a config file.

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=230967

By default Live 10 runs at 60 fps but it's possible to reduce it to 30 fps and it still looks acceptable. Live 9 always ran at 30 fps after all...
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Head

Thanks @ pier25 for sharing those interesting results.

Guys, i think i have solve my problems speaking about the CPU usage.. Please dont laugh at me or throw your keyboard at my face by rage but...... my omnisphere wasnt up to date

I've switch to 2.6 build in the weekend, and all the CPU usage problems are gone now, no more abusive CPU usage

Regarding latency, i hope that getting a better soundcard will do the trick, i will see when i got the occasion to get a new soundcard and come back with results. Anyway at least i have learn many thing through the process.

Hope i havent made you lost your time with this thread..

Thanks again for your help everyone, im a happy man now.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth30 View Post

Guys, i think i have solve my problems speaking about the CPU usage.. Please dont laugh at me or throw your keyboard at my face by rage but...... my omnisphere wasnt up to date

I've switch to 2.6 build in the weekend, and all the CPU usage problems are gone now, no more abusive CPU usage

Regarding latency, i hope that getting a better soundcard will do the trick, i will see when i got the occasion to get a new soundcard and come back with results. Anyway at least i have learn many thing through the process.

No problem!

I'm glad you fixed it
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaphorst View Post

I don't think this is a blanket advice to throw around like that. On older MBPs Live may select the discrete every time and this default is how it used to be. I have to use the special build of gfxCardStatus 2.4.4i to even be able to use the native at all when Live runs. With the default discrete graphics I get additional heat I don't need as that makes the CPU slower when it tries to cool down. Not so with the native.

In addition, I do not think it's correct to assume using the native graphics has a cost in CPU. At least this is not true in every model and even if it is so the effect is minor in most cases. I've never ever heard this complaint anywhere. Is it a thing?

I'm of course aware of that on some models additional heat may cause the CPU to drop performance in order to cool down and on some models the native may want to use RAM, which might be a problem if you're short on that. I don't think all native graphics cards need this. Mine seem to have dedicated VRAM.

If one is a Push 2 user one should note that the displayprocess will choose to run on the discrete, in order for it to not use CPU which were where it ran before. I'm not sure if this means it won't run on the discrete if you use the native in Live, as I'm not using the Push 2.

Last edited by Mikael B; 4 weeks ago at 05:29 PM..
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
I recently got same issues with clicks and pops everywhere, from production to watching videos. CPU usage was always low, and latency monitor led me to believe it was a graphics driver problem. But, after some trial and error, which took days, it turned out it was a service that got installed with some software coming with a new external hard drive. In my case it was western digital. Disabled it - problem gone!
From time to time you need to check the task manager, startup apps (msconfig) and services, and disable all the junk that inevitably gets installed.
Hope this helps someone.
Could you post your system specs Motherboard, CPU, GPU & Windows 10 version?
Old 29th October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth30 View Post

Glad to hear the Omnisphere issue is resolved!
I'm sure a better interface will help with lower latencies at low buffer settings.
Perhaps the 3700X could be a good choice after all.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
Could you post your system specs Motherboard, CPU, GPU & Windows 10 version?
intel i5 6500 (default clock), asus H170M-PLUS, nvidia 1060 6GB 436.48, win10 10.0.18362 Build 18362

How is it useful to you?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lol...well, usually if you are having issues with your setup; you're hardware components should be listed so that others can help. But I see that you resolved the issues. That was my error; sorry...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

pretty telling who's an amateur and who's an actual engineer by reading all the bs posts on here

my guess is the t2 audio bug is not limited to t2 macs and has been in the OS for some time within applesmartbatterymanager.kext
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think your posting in the wrong thread bud.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search