The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Little Help needed....
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

A Little Help needed....

Hi all,

I'm a new Live user and I have a conceptual question that I"m hoping someone can shed some light on.
I'm trying to figure out how clips are used. I understand what clips are. I understand how to make them, view them, manipulate their settings and all of that.
What I can't seem to find any information about is how they are typically used. So I have 4 tracks, and each track has say, 4 clips. Okay, so I can listen to the tracks playing with one clip at a time. Great. How does this help me? What am I missing here. How do YOU use clips?
I'm sure I'm just being stupid about this, but I don't get it. Maybe you can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I would say the main point of Clips in Live is that they can be played independently of the timeline.

In other DAWs the "clips/events/regions/etc" are locked to the timeline, they always will play at a specific time, you can only move the playhead.

In Live the Clips can be played at any time, you are not locked to the timeline's playhead.

That's why some people say Live is an actual instrument, that you can practice and learn how to play, not just a DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

So, if I'm 'hearing' you correctly, the clips are more of a live thing that add flexibility. Set up a bunch of clips, then trigger them one at a time, or in groups, in real time.....like an improv tool. Okay, this is making sense to me now.....

Thanks,

keith
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I don't do live performances but I usually use clips when sketching quick ideas. Once I'm happy with a loop I move over to arrangement.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You are you tying figure out What?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search