The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Mini 2018 with Ableton Live 10
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Addict

Mac Mini 2018 with Ableton Live 10

I'm considering getting a Mac Mini 2018 exclusively for Live 10.

I found this thread on Ableton forums which a few users saying when using Live 10 with a 4K monitor they are having audio performance problems. Apparently this is caused by the low power of the integrated GPU and is solved by using an eGPU or lowering the fps of Live 10 or reducing the resolution to 1080p.

Anyone here is using the Mini with a 4K monitor and Live 10?

Edit:

I forgot to add the link to the thread: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=233038
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Nut

Not a good Idea...

I'm working with a way older mac mini and live 10 works okay but I record everything to audio to keep the cpu power low. But even the newer ones have the same slow cpus.

The biggest problem with mac minis and most other macs is the way to small fans! I have to let it run highspeed (4500rpm plus) to keep the cpu heat at 70℃ while working in ableton. And thats in winter... Summers are horrible!

Im going to build me a nice music pc next year with a huuuuge fan. The days of macs for audio production are over...
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Addict

I ended building an AMD pc for the price of an i7 Mini which is much more powerful, expandable, and silent.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Nut

Best decision you could have made!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omng View Post
Best decision you could have made!
Windows was a bit weird the first couple of days but the performance is amazing and the system is super stable. I'm very happy now that I did not buy the Mini.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Not true. I have a 2019 Mac mini i5 (6 core), 16gb ram, 256gb storage connected to a 4K (thunderbolt to dp) and it’s fine. No issues at all.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I run a 2010 mini server w 8gb and a core duo, will upgrade soon, and have always used macs but the price for a custom pc is tempting. FWIW Lives manual actually says that the real minimum specs are quad core, and yeah the duo struggles. A new mini w a six core world handle the load fine tho. Looking at a 8 core mac pro 2013, or switching to amd. I just despise Windows tho.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
Not true. I have a 2019 Mac mini i5 (6 core), 16gb ram, 256gb storage connected to a 4K (thunderbolt to dp) and it’s fine. No issues at all.
Are you running that at 96k?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omng View Post
Not a good Idea...

I'm working with a way older mac mini and live 10 works okay but I record everything to audio to keep the cpu power low. But even the newer ones have the same slow cpus.

The biggest problem with mac minis and most other macs is the way to small fans! I have to let it run highspeed (4500rpm plus) to keep the cpu heat at 70℃ while working in ableton. And thats in winter... Summers are horrible!

Im going to build me a nice music pc next year with a huuuuge fan. The days of macs for audio production are over...
My 2018 6-core i7 Mac Mini disagrees with you.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Agreed... the Late 2018 Mac Mini is no joke. The PRIOR model was a dual-core, slow processor, but in 2018 Apple redeemed themselves and the new Mini is quite a powerful machine.

I have the i7 version, with a Vega 56 eGPU, and two 32" 4K displays. I upgraded the RAM to 64GB (32GB would honestly have been fine).

The machine runs great. Running Live 10, the CPU is barely touched.

Benchmarks show that with an eGPU, you can achieve performance on-par with the iMac Pro. More than enough power for audio.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751 View Post
More than enough power for audio.
More than enough power for some people's audio needs…

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search