The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Macbook Pro 2019 For Ableton Live 10
Old 26th September 2019
Here for the gear

Macbook Pro 2019 For Ableton Live 10

Okay, so I'm thinking of getting a 2019 MBP for running Ableton 10 with a low/mid-range audio interface (maybe Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen). I'll be using a couple of hardware synths and using Ableton for mixing and fx, probably not a huge amount of tracks (16 or so). Not going to be using for live sound or anything, just home studio pottering.

Will the 1.4ghz i5 8th gen quad core be capable of running this set-up? Or should I go for a PC (something like the XPS 13)?The price jump to a MBP with a higher spec processor is too much to justify for the moment. I use a PC at work all day so would like to use a Mac for music stuff.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashslug View Post
Okay, so I'm thinking of getting a 2019 MBP for running Ableton 10 with a low/mid-range audio interface (maybe Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen). I'll be using a couple of hardware synths and using Ableton for mixing and fx, probably not a huge amount of tracks (16 or so). Not going to be using for live sound or anything, just home studio pottering.

Will the 1.4ghz i5 8th gen quad core be capable of running this set-up? Or should I go for a PC (something like the XPS 13)?The price jump to a MBP with a higher spec processor is too much to justify for the moment. I use a PC at work all day so would like the use Mac for music stuff.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.
Thanks.
You’ll be fine with that amount of tracks and processing.
Old 27th September 2019
Just to mention that 1.4ghz macbook pro 13 edition , comes with two thunderbold ports instead of four on the 2.4gh 13 model.
Also i find 8gb of ram enough , if not using a lot of heavy sample based instruments like kontakt and omnisphere , but for a more futureproof buy i would go with the 16gb of ram!
Old 28th September 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks, yes I think the 16gb RAM upgrade is a must - it's a lot cheaper to do than any other upgrades.
I'm not overly concerned about the lack of thunderbolt ports, I guess they can be added to with adapters.

At this point I'm starting to think that Logic Pro X might be better suited to my needs than Ableton 10.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search