The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording. Weird double tracking in live Monitor In?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Question Recording. Weird double tracking in live Monitor In?

this might sound like a newb question but why does it sound like there are two tracks playing whenever i live Monitor In? I can hear myself in my headphones and it's like phasing weird... when i play it back after the recording, it sounds like a perfectly fine mono track. and it aint my interfaces mixer... it's just in ableton. is it suppose to sound like that to save cpu or something? any help would be awesome!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Not an ableton user but my focusrite has live monitoring, I have to either mute the output from logic or mute the input tracks on monitoring mixer on the audio interface otherwise I get phasing as live/direct monitoring is a few ms ahead of the sound coming out of logic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwutt View Post
this might sound like a newb question but why does it sound like there are two tracks playing whenever i live Monitor In? I can hear myself in my headphones and it's like phasing weird... when i play it back after the recording, it sounds like a perfectly fine mono track. and it aint my interfaces mixer... it's just in ableton. is it suppose to sound like that to save cpu or something? any help would be awesome!
If you turn off "monitor" do you still hear yourself? If so, your interface is playing back the audio that goes in its "zero latency" monitoring. Decide if you want interface monitoring and use monitor "off" in Live or alternatively adjust your interface to not play back what goes in and use monitoring in Live instead.

The upside with the latter is, if setup correctly, what you hear is what it will sound like when playing back as it will be delay compensated with the rest of the set. The downside is that if you have one too many high latency devices /plug-ins or a large audio buffer you will get inconvenient latency. This can be avoided with "Reduced Latency" active on the recording track.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
If you turn off "monitor" do you still hear yourself? If so, your interface is playing back the audio that goes in its "zero latency" monitoring. Decide if you want interface monitoring and use monitor "off" in Live or alternatively adjust your interface to not play back what goes in and use monitoring in Live instead.
nah, i don't hear anything when monitor is off. it's only coming from ableton. i have a UA arrow with the mixers 'console' on mute when i track in ableton. there's a significant difference with the sound coming in through the arrows mixer and abletons monitor in (UA mixer on mute). almost sounds like mono track gets split in two channels and panned hard left and hard right with a little weird phasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
The upside with the latter is, if setup correctly, what you hear is what it will sound like when playing back as it will be delay compensated with the rest of the set. The downside is that if you have one too many high latency devices /plug-ins or a large audio buffer you will get inconvenient latency. This can be avoided with "Reduced Latency" active on the recording track.
options > reduce latency when monitoring? i'm getting the same result with this option turned on and off.

am i the only one that hears this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
options > reduce latency when monitoring? i'm getting the same result with this option turned on and off.
Did I suggest reduced latency should affect your routing? I did not. So why are you suggesting this as if I did? Read carefully.

Quote:
am i the only one that hears this?
Obviously as it's your routing. It's user error. Accept this so you can devise a solution. If you're going to blame Ableton for you not understanding what you're doing, you will continue to be stuck. It's your choice.

Quote:
nah, i don't hear anything when monitor is off. it's only coming from ableton. i have a UA arrow with the mixers 'console' on mute when i track in ableton. there's a significant difference with the sound coming in through the arrows mixer and abletons monitor in (UA mixer on mute). almost sounds like mono track gets split in two channels and panned hard left and hard right with a little weird phasing.
How can you tell there's a difference if the audio interface doesn't have monitor on? You mean when you mute the Arrow? If you had monitor on in both places, what you heard should be the direct monitor of incoming signal mixed with the same signal coming back from Live,. Obviously this will not sound the same as when you remove any of these two monitor signals.

Where the dodgy sound you hear in Live's monitor comes from can only be solved with you stop assuming you know what the routing is doing and step by step follow the signal, carefully challenging your assumptions what's going on in each single step by examining everything. If you don't understand routing signal (data streams once you're in digital) in Live, this will be difficult which is why you need to understand how the Live mixer (and your audio interface obviously) actually works. Every setting affecting the audio in each signal path step matters.

Where is the source audio coming from? is there any processing going on in the audio interface, either in incoming or in playback? Where in the audio interface do these incoming channels go, i e where are they routed? Is your mute actually working as you think it is? What is Live tapping it's audio from specifically? Are there more channels involved that maybe are routed to another track? Have you done the audio interface setup lesson in help?

In short: Follow the signal and you can sort this out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search