The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Editing Video and Audio in Ableton
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Nut

Editing Video and Audio in Ableton

So I bought a GoPro. Been working on my live Ableton set. But I'm trying to workout a simple editing workflow for casual insta videos and whatnot.
Process: I hit record on Ableton, hit record on gopro (4K), do a bunch of **** with my controllers and external instruments, usually for like 10-15 mins. I then import, convert the video to a 480p proxy and bring it into the ableton set.
At this point I want to start editing the audio. Interestingly enough, Ableton seems to treat the video file like an audio file, cutting it at any sample in the audio, unconcerned with frames, which video suites never seemed to be able to do. I need to chop down the video. I don't really care if there's jump cuts and stuff because its so informal.
The one time I tried exporting video from ableton, the sizing was weird and it didn't look great. Is there a way/workflow to do the edits in ableton and return to full resolution after? If I drag in the 4k video right away, Ableton can't handle it.
Old 25th September 2019
Yeah unfortunately exporting edited video from Ableton is an absolute nightmare & really buggy! Actually since early version 9 at least, and still the same buggy mess!
I really dig the way you can edit video & jpegs in Ableton, really refreshing and fantastic for complex bpm based edits, because of the bpm grid etc.
I ended up for quite some time now, just playing the finished edited video & recording my screen with the Wondershare-Screenrecorder, then exporting my Audio & putting it back together in Premiere!

Last edited by RobFish; 25th September 2019 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbkeys View Post
So I bought a GoPro. Been working on my live Ableton set. But I'm trying to workout a simple editing workflow for casual insta videos and whatnot.
Process: I hit record on Ableton, hit record on gopro (4K), do a bunch of **** with my controllers and external instruments, usually for like 10-15 mins. I then import, convert the video to a 480p proxy and bring it into the ableton set.
At this point I want to start editing the audio. Interestingly enough, Ableton seems to treat the video file like an audio file, cutting it at any sample in the audio, unconcerned with frames, which video suites never seemed to be able to do. I need to chop down the video. I don't really care if there's jump cuts and stuff because its so informal.
The one time I tried exporting video from ableton, the sizing was weird and it didn't look great. Is there a way/workflow to do the edits in ableton and return to full resolution after? If I drag in the 4k video right away, Ableton can't handle it.
This work flow defy how everyone I know work with audio in connection with video in the (or for the), you know, video business. I know of no-one that isn't making the audio in their DAW with a low-res copy, in a format fit to Ableton Live's capabilities, to get their timing right, and later have this audio added and synced to the full resolution original in a professional Video Suite. Which is often someone else doing it, like the original maker of the video material. As long as the time codes match, this is a very fast process and as far I know how people have been doing it for eighteen years at least.

Nothing prevents really that the video is developed while making the music, because you can just get the new cut as low-res and move audio back and forth and this isn't a different problem anyway than if you could cut video in Live.

Maybe Ableton shouldn't pretend Live is a versatile video app and instead they could market how people actually work successfully with it.
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
Yeah unfortunately exporting edited video from Ableton is an absolute nightmare & really buggy! Actually since early version 9 at least, and still the same buggy mess!
I really dig the way you can edit video & jpegs in Ableton, really refreshing and fantastic for complex bpm based edits, because of the bpm grid etc.
I ended up for quite some time now, just playing the finished edited video & recording my screen with the Wondershare-Screenrecorder, then exporting my Audio & putting it back together in Premiere!
Interesting!
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
This work flow defy how everyone I know work with audio in connection with video in the (or for the), you know, video business. I know of no-one that isn't making the audio in their DAW with a low-res copy, in a format fit to Ableton Live's capabilities, to get their timing right, and later have this audio added and synced to the full resolution original in a professional Video Suite. Which is often someone else doing it, like the original maker of the video material. As long as the time codes match, this is a very fast process and as far I know how people have been doing it for eighteen years at least.

Nothing prevents really that the video is developed while making the music, because you can just get the new cut as low-res and move audio back and forth and this isn't a different problem anyway than if you could cut video in Live.

Maybe Ableton shouldn't pretend Live is a versatile video app and instead they could market how people actually work successfully with it.
I'm familiar with this workflow. I use it for music videos I produce, and more formal live videos. The point of the Gopro/ableton workflow was just to capture me in the studio messing around, kind of behind the scenes (see example below).
One thing I found which is really interesting is that in video editor like FCP and Premiere, the smallest point at which you can cut is by the frame . That means, in 24fps there's 24 cut points per second, versus 48,000 in the audio editor. Somehow, when cutting in Ableton, the video can be spliced at any audio point (so, by the sample).
I may not be articulating this well. But say I wanna start on a kick drum. In the video editor, I may be limited to being up to like a half second away from the start of that sample. In Ableton I can start right on. This means, looping doesn't have snags in it (except for whatever is created by the processing in something like the instagram algo or whatever).
It also means that I can cut at 8 bars and quickly jump ahead and still have everything in time. Premiere has no musical grid so everything has to be by ear/eyeballing waveforms. Much slower.
In this way, I'm still editing audio like I would normally, but there's just a video reference to it. And I actually don't mind the jump cuts...(What would be cool is to do a second camera and then I can cheat around those audio splices with close-ups or b-roll, but yeah I kind of like it looking "doctored" so people know this isn't your professional video, it's a sketch/journal entry/etc).

@ RobFish I love the screen capture idea, because I did manage to find some ok settings, eventually, on the ableton video export, but it too forever to finish and it jams up the computer. With this method I'll do my final export in Adobe Media Encoder.

Here's an example of the first time I tried to make something straight out of Ableton (you'll have to follow the link to Insta to see the video move). Remember this was a 10min jam that I wanted to somehow turn into a 1min video for Insta, so people could just get a taste of the idea...
Quote:
?+⛰+?= ?? on Instagram: “Jammin on some straightforward classic hous

25 Likes, 2 Comments - ?+⛰+?= ?? (@firebergmusix) on Instagram: “Jammin on some straightforward classic house vibes. Just need that vocal sample and I think we’d be…”

Last edited by dwbkeys; 2nd October 2019 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: ordering confusing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search