The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setup and use of FX in Ableton Live
Old 4th September 2019
Deleted 5cc75a2
Setup and use of FX in Ableton Live

ok so this is a noob question but for years I have always used hardware on the way in or on a desk after - or itb just used direct track/group/buss fx using the plugins mix% knobs to apply.. it works ok but sometimes I need a more defined effect that better compliments the original sound rather than taking over control and drenching it.

example: say I have a group of synths, a stack making one unified lead sound, which I want to add some reverb to, but with better control over the fx in the mix than if I just plop the verb plugin on the group channel and everything gets drenched.. like using a new audio track or buss outside of the lead group with a verb>eq>sidechain compressor (sc to the original lead sound so the verb ducks allowing the original transients to cut through clean) and wet/dry function to mix it back in with the original unified sound.

I have tried using an aux buss and send knob, but it is raising the over all volume of the sound and causing some clipping distortion and thats not what I want.. I just want the clean reverb ducking behind the original sound.

what is the best -or your- method of best doing this in live 9?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5cc75a2 View Post
I just want the clean reverb ducking behind the original sound.
You mean like sending to a return with the reverb and some compressor like Glue, side-chaining with the source being the return track itself? Using a Ratio of 2, fast Attack and Release and Threshold to taste with no makeup gain? Something like that?

Better control? I use the fader. Why make it complicated?
Old 7th September 2019
Deleted 5cc75a2
original track > fx - containing: verb>eq>comp (sc to original track so the verb ducks). that is complicated?

my issue is that by creating an aux buss for fx in ableton, it is noticeably raising the volume, not like a wet/dry function if the verb is placed on the original track itself i.e., if I set the fx to 100% wet and the send level 100%, then just "use the fader", it doesn't work as intended. I only want ducking fx, not creating unnecessary parallel track distortion and gain issues. especially if a mix is already 90% there, going back into it and resetting everything using fx would be a nightmare.

maybe there is a setting I am missing in ableton? workarounds? just curious what others are doing to make this scenario best work for them...
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
original track > fx - containing: verb>eq>comp (sc to original track so the verb ducks). that is complicated?
Saying that you get too hot reverb (correct?) and not using the fader seems to me to be complicated as the solution is to use the return fader or gain of the devices/plug-ins inside it. I don't understand why you're looking for solutions outside of this, but I assume something relevant is missing from your description or I'm missing it.

Could you describe your compressor settings? Because I find it highly irregular to get this loudness issue with the routing you describe. Is it a measurable loudness visible also on a meter? If so, can you follow it back, track by track?

Did you try setting the SC source to the return itself? Or maybe there's a specific reason you want the reverb do duck only from a single track? Like if you're sending other tracks to the same reverb and you only want one SC source.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
original track > fx - containing: verb>eq>comp (sc to original track so the verb ducks).
To get a baseline I made this little test set:

Where the peak in Master is ≈ -7.5 as expected without the send up and as you see roughly the same with the 100% send. Also note I'm using 14.5 dB makeup gain in the compressor. I think this is a reasonable routing and reasonable settings for achieving the ducking you seem to want, but the details are of course dependent on the music itself.

So how is your setup structurally different from mine here and could that inform you on where to find the cause of your out of order loudness?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search