The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Typing "in" chords..?
Old 19th August 2019
Here for the gear

Typing "in" chords..?

I'm a huge fan of electronic music but would like to work with and add more advanced chords and progressions than is usually seen in the genre. At the same time my piano skills are pretty bad. Therefor....

I'm looking for a way to literally type chord progressions into arrangements in Ableton (or Logic) the same way as it is done in "Band-in-a-Box", "Chordbot" and perhaps even more programs. Has anyone heard about a solution to this challenge?

Technically it should be easy to create what I'm looking for. I once saw a guy on Youtube who could type chords into Band-in-a-Box and then made his Tyros (styles) follow the progression. Could this be done with a DAW instead of a Tyros? And is it perhaps allready done?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves electronic music, but at the same time are missing harmonic development in the genre. What do you guys do?

Sincerely

mads A
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Maniac

You could make clips of all the chords in existence, name them and save them in the user library and drop them into the arrangement in any sequence you like.
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB View Post
You could make clips of all the chords in existence, name them and save them in the user library and drop them into the arrangement in any sequence you like.
Thats....actually a really good idea.
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Or do something similar to that, but with Chord MIDI Effect presets - this would have the advanatge that you would only need to do one maj triad, one dom7, one minor9 etc instead of Cmaj, C#maj, Dmaj...
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

why dont you just draw them in piano roll view?
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
why dont you just draw them in piano roll view?
Apples and oranges. The idea is to be like, "hey I want a C#m9+5 here." And just pop the chord in. FL studio has this feature.
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

You can step sequence chords by playing them in from a keyboard.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
"hey I want a C#m9+5 here."
Which inversion? I can't help thinking that just voicing the chord on the Clip timeline on the keyboard/controller, like @ enossified suggests, is much more immediate than typing or selecting anything. Possibly if you could type with key awareness "IIm9" there could be an upside for some users.

What about expressions? Live is a little too old-school in that department.
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
You can step sequence chords by playing them in from a keyboard.
I never realised you can do this! I definitely tried to google it a while back but clearly didn't type the right thing, just now found the below after reading your comment. Bloody arrow keys, it's so simple

Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Which inversion? I can't help thinking that just voicing the chord on the Clip timeline on the keyboard/controller, like @ enossified suggests, is much more immediate than typing or selecting anything. Possibly if you could type with key awareness "IIm9" there could be an upside for some users.

What about expressions? Live is a little too old-school in that department.
Less typing in and more of a drop down menu, you select the root note, the chord structure and the inversion and just click where you want the chord to go in the piano roll. I'm pretty sure you can do this in FL studio.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
Less typing in and more of a drop down menu, you select the root note, the chord structure and the inversion and just click where you want the chord to go in the piano roll. I'm pretty sure you can do this in FL studio.
OK, but using the mouse sure does sound cumbersome to me. Are you familiar with the insert marker and note entry on the selection of time that @ Bilb presents below (same as @ enossified )?

Move the insert marker to where you want the chord with the arrow keys, hold down the chord you want on your main keyboard and use right arrow key to enter a chord. If you keep the chord down and keep moving the right arrow key it will be longer than the grid resolution. The velocity you got from holding the notes down on the keyboard will be in there.

If you go too long use the left arrow. This is also how you edit a chord: hold down the same notes at the note ends and use the left arrow to adjust the end or go the whole way to the note start to make it disappear.

If you have the MIDI editor Preview button enabled moving to the note starts will preview the chords, which is handy.

To me using the keyboards makes so much more sense because it's music already when you use it and this informs you if the chord works.

Last edited by Mikael B; 1st October 2019 at 11:05 PM..
Old 5th October 2019
Dor
Lives for gear

This is pretty cool:

https://www.subaqueousmusic.com/libr...cle-of-fifths/
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
I really think this is another overly convoluted as well as flawed way to avoid just doing the task. There's no inversions in this system without you adding these as well. Hmmm, I guess you could make use of the keyboard and holding down shift-arrow keys in the actual clip. There's also no rhythmic variation without adding that yourself. How would you do that? Maybe combine it with some MIDI device?
One of the Max For Live Chord tools would make a lot more sense though. Maybe moving the circle of fifths to such a chord tool?

There is indeed some value in having all possibilities laid out before you and basing your knowledge around the circle of fifths (or fourths), but all you need to make music with that is that circle and basic key and scale knowledge.

All of this was close to voodoo for me until I mapped out all the scales in different keys many years ago, so I do understand that any tool or method that gives you insights is of value. But I think the point of perspective of this particular method also could get in your way when writing a tune. To deepen your knowledge it could be somewhat useful though.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
BTW, my fav way exploring chords is using the "Melodic Sequencer + 32 Notes" layout in the Push. You hold down the notes you want and place it in the sequencer. Very interactive, intuitive and fast with immediate feedback if playing back the clip, which I also can temporarily loop different shorter parts of as I wish. If I need notes outside the current key I can adjust the pad layout to get them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search