The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hardware DAW controller: Yes or no?
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulmusic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
What if you wanted a LPF to sweep over the course of 2 minutes or something?
Exactly !
What you can do is to record your "performance" with all the realtime controller automation you want into the arrangement view - for as long time you want.
Then go to arrange view - select the duration in time - and then rightclick and choose "Consolidate to New Scene".
Puts everything back into seesion view in a new scene INCLUDING all of your controller data
I almost shed tears of joy when I found out - true story bro - comming from time Linear DAWs for years and years - these kind of things was exactly what I was looking for in workflow and possibilities

Anyways, this particular feature/workflow REALLY calls for something like multiple arrangement views in Live or "Clipboards" if you will - which Live doesnt have as of now, of cause.
@ pottering already answered this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
You just unlink the LPF automation (or modulation) Clip Envelope, they don't have to be the same length as the audio or MIDI note sequence. Every Envelope can be set to have its own length and loop length (or not to loop) independently.
@ raoulmusic , any action that gives you what you need is great of course. Sometimes it's more beneficial in the long run to learn the intricacies of the DAW you use though. There's more to Live than what meets the eye and you can get really deep with it. I think the manual could be more improved, but what would the Ableton certified trainers do then? Not that you can't learn on your own.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
No, you can't "control everything via the keyboard", but there are controls that are only available via a computer keyboard and also a few only in the GUI as well as some only via external scripts like Mackie or Push.

On the absence of an external playing keyboard it would be interesting if you'd tell us how you make use of velocity and aftertouch in real time using that.

Some people using external controllers do this precisely because they don't want to fiddle around with shortcuts, but it's a rewarding thing to learn these and that shouldn't be dismissed, so your experience and thoughts on this do have value.

What I appreciate with the Push is getting where I want for a particular control using my fingers moving things in a continuous fashion while listening back not paying attention to any numbers. This detaches my conscious mind and allows me to create stellar results I couldn't think of before I got them.
Actually you can control everything via the keyboard - you just map it out. And you can even control velocity as well via default keyboard keys. Don't believe me? Go watch Rhythm Roulette. I forget the producer's name and will post when I remember but he uses Ableton and does everything on the keyboard like I do. He chopped up and produced every single beat right on the laptop keyboard. I'll post the video when I can remember the dude's name. For now, here is another video showing you how to use the keyboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HWbItGrmWE

You want to use a hardware controller go for it. I personally think it's a waist of money if you just take the time to learn the keyboard. It's actually much better to learn the keyboard anyway because you can work on beats when you travel or wherever you are at without having to drag around a hardware controller.

But to each his own. You want to use Push 2 or whatever, go for it.
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
Actually you can control everything via the keyboard - you just map it out.
Believe you? I've been using Live daily for nine years. I simply know Live intimately and have encountered the limitations you haven't that made you assume you can map everything. Which you unfortunately can't, much too my dissatisfaction.

You do know the meaning of "everything", right? That's any and all functions without limitations.

But go right ahead and dazzle me with how you "map it out" getting to
  • Groove pool groove selection
  • Groove pool groove parameters
  • Groove selection in Clips
  • Time Signature in Clips
…just to mention a few. Some functions that can't be mapped to Keys or MIDI are still available in the API, which is why transport has some features only available via control scripts, like Mackie and some other controller unique features. But some features aren't available at all in the API, which is why it's so hard to make the Arrangement view controllable from Push for example.

What I suggested stands. I'd like you to be right here naturally and I'm not against using the keyboard at all, I do think it's cool for some stuff, but it's plain silly to pretend everything is mappable to the computer keyboard. Simply because it isn't. Prove that it is by writing an article post so we all can learn. Or just share your keyboard knowledge. I'd read it. Added your videos to my watch list. Thanks for sharing.
Old 21st August 2019
If you're on the fence about Push 2, my suggestion would be to pick up a used Push 1. They seem to be going for around $200, which is an insanely good value for the functionality.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Old 19th September 2019
Here for the gear

ClyphX Pro is the best controller ever. It can totally transform your workflow using quite whatever controller.
The thing is that it introduces such new concepts that you have to stop a while before writing your personal X-Actions and ask to yourself : What do I do when I create or perform myAbleton tracks ? and secondly destructure your moves and create a list of actions you do. Then create your own ClyphX X-Action and perform it in many ways (using the faboulous X-Triggers) with your controller. You have : Modes, Long/Short press buttons, Snapshots of wathever (also with morphing feature between Snaps), External Android/IOS display via Touc-OSC, you can add more power to your ClyphX boosted setup with the two Addon "Bindings" (dynamic parameter mapping), and "Keys" with which one can emulate mouse and keyboard stroke . This way also those parameters that are not "exposed" in the legendary ableton's LOM wil be mappable on your controller. Definitively super suggested with whatever controller you use. (For me the best controller is still BCR2000 but is just because I love backlit knobs.)
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupax View Post
Hello.

I recently switched to Ableton Live for electronic music production and I'm confused about should I get a hardware controller or not?
Producing in Ableton is very complex, with hundreds of knobs, sliders, XY areas, effects, drag/drop fields...
I somehow can't immagine a hardware controller that would speed up the process compared to a mouse. On screen you exactly see where you are and what are you "grabbing" with a mouse, while with a controller you usually have to dig inside many buttons to get to a specific control, not to mention you don't have a direct visual feedback.
So the options are:
- Full DAW controller based on Mackie Protocol (ex. Behringer X-Touch). They are fully integrated but lack custom mapping.
- Full DAW controller based on MIDI (ex. Behringer X-Touch Compact or mini). They are not so nicely integrated but you can program them as you wish.
- One channel DAW controller (ex. Behringer X-Touch One), which is a somehow upgrade to a mouse.
- Matrix based controllers (ex. Novation Launchpad) which I think are more focused on live performance.
- Using just a mouse.

What do you use and why has that made your production faster?
YEah do it - you can control multiple controls at once with a controller which you cant do with a mouse. A controller can give you much more tactile and live feeling to your mixes - you just cant really get the same effect with a mouse doing each thing individually - riding faders, using sliders and knobs to change effect sparameters - its brilliant fun and just maxes your music more alive and human . I wish Id got a controller and used it properly years ago instead of trying to do everything with mouse for years. Sure youll get people that can do amazing stuff blindfolded with a mouse and keyboard etc - but try getting a 303 to slowly rise in pitch with a mouse - of course you can do it but its nowhere near as good as with a fader or knob like a real synth, or try riding several faders at once with a mouse - cant be done - a mouse if for doing the tax returns.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
I imagine I'm the odd one out on this subject.

My love of the Faderport 16 is for the writing stage when you can pull up 16 different sounds/vocals and grab levels instantly
as you compose and imporivise - hands on control of levels for a fast flow when being creative.

When it comes to mixing, I use faders to get levels and pans then I have in my minds ear the sounds I want so
I prefer to simple dial in EQ and compression with text entry of values using the mouse, I'm not an EQ sweeper
so I don't need a controller for EQ or compression.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search