The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get a wider warmer mix in ableton??
Old 16th July 2019
Here for the gear

How to get a wider warmer mix in ableton??

Hey guys,
I thought I liked my mixes but then I listening to the flaming lips soft bulletin and i don't even understand how they could get such a warm and wide sound. I suppose it has to do with the amazing gear, ears, and minds they had on the album, but nevertheless.
How do you guys think I could point my mixes towards that direction.
Here's one example of where I'm at: https://youtu.be/b8m7BteU_ZY

One problem I've faced was using reverb in the most effective way. I've been using parallel reverbs through a return track for a while now, but I feel like it doesn't push things back in the speaker like the mix needs. Any recommendations?
Old 22nd September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja3k3l View Post
Hey guys,
I thought I liked my mixes but then I listening to the flaming lips soft bulletin and i don't even understand how they could get such a warm and wide sound. I suppose it has to do with the amazing gear, ears, and minds they had on the album, but nevertheless.
How do you guys think I could point my mixes towards that direction.
Here's one example of where I'm at: https://youtu.be/b8m7BteU_ZY

One problem I've faced was using reverb in the most effective way. I've been using parallel reverbs through a return track for a while now, but I feel like it doesn't push things back in the speaker like the mix needs. Any recommendations?

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/...intagewarmer2/

https://www.thehouseofkush.com/products/omega-458a

The best stereo widening plugin 2019?
Old 22nd September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I suppose it has to do with the amazing …ears, and minds they had on the album
This, and get to know how Live really works. In order to do that set out to complete 50-100 tracks in Live in x time, say one year or so, not more and less if possible.

My current objective is to create about 170 new complete songs per year, likely out of many times more than that. That's about 10 new completions every third week.

Quote:
I feel like it doesn't push things back in the speaker like the mix needs.
Are you talking about getting elements to appear to be further back in the mix as opposed to in your face? I'd suggest using a return or not has nothing to do with any difficulties in this area. If you look at how your fav producers do it, don't they use Returns or Auxes?

I'm sorry for the late response. Please update us if you're still struggling with this.
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Nut

Acustica Audio. Try Taupe.
Old 25th September 2019
In Terms of Reverb, I'd suggest processing your reverb returns further. Eq, Saturation etc.
I darken up my reverbs a lot, for smoothness & depth. Also experimenting with putting different Delays before and/or after your reverbs can help getting them further back!
Also using different reverbs for different tasks, Ableton's stock Reverb for instance tends to be more on the artificial sounding side!
Convolution Reverb Pro is quite amazing! Comes with a huge IR-Library of Real-Live Spaces, Vintage-Gear etc. It comes with Live-Suite, if your using standard, you can download for free from ableton.com. You need Max for Live though!

I focused on plugins, that come with Ableton/Max because I don't really know what is available to you! Obviously there are tons of great 3rd party Plugins: Altiverb, Valhalla Reverbs, Soundtoys Little Plate, ConvologyXT (free version is already really cool)...

Last edited by RobFish; 25th September 2019 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
Also experimenting with putting different Delays before and/or after your reverbs can help getting them further back!
Pre-delay not to forget ( I did in my previous comment)
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

Warmth is in your EQing. Keep searching, you'll find it there.

I've found that my stereo field is greatly affected by using less stereo elements and more mono tracks panned around. If everything is stereo it all just sounds like a big single 'thing' coming out of my monitors. Think of placing your instruments in a room, way easier when they are mono. Even if they are stereo, you can trim their width down so they are not panned hard left and right but are only occupying a section of the available stereo space.

Another key with reverb is to put an EQ before it on the buss so you can control the range of frequencies going into it. I like to cut it down a lot so I'm just sending high mids or sometimes low mids into the EQ, getting rid of the high end and low end, depending on the song of course. Also, remember to leave some space in your arrangement, time based FX love that.
Old 27th September 2019
Here for the gear

this is a beautiful advice, i never thought add some processing to my return channels, i use altiverb and the convolution from max 4 live, tomorrow i definitly gonna try with some soft saturator, or maybe the waves aphex vintage exciter.

thanks 4 the advice again!
Old 28th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyspilot View Post
this is a beautiful advice, i never thought add some processing to my return channels, i use altiverb and the convolution from max 4 live, tomorrow i definitly gonna try with some soft saturator, or maybe the waves aphex vintage exciter.

thanks 4 the advice again!

The brain explosions from making pyramids from mono tracks than adding much processing.

M
S1 S2
S3L S3R
Energizer Bunny
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyspilot View Post
You've never applied a compressor on your reverb?
I use aphex vintage exciter on delay send tracks. The latter being a a sends-only sibling track that listens to the source track and send operations are optionally executed there instead of in the source track. It's in a real track so that you can use dummy effects clips, but if one doesn't need that it could of course go into the return.
Old 4th October 2019
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
……
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
……
good or bad?
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
good or bad?
Interesting at least. I posted inline to increase the likelihood people would watch it ( I never click and watch on youtube unless I'm really motivated). I just skimmed this as watching tutorials isn't my current style, if I can help it. Inspiration can be a good thing though, so thanks for the original post.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search