The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Missing Device
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Missing Device

Incoming basic question...

I've created an ableton session and done some automation on a max device, but when opening the session back up the device can't be found. I'm able to paste the device on from elsewhere, but this leaves me without the automation I used on the initial device

I'm assuming it has something to do with the way I've saved/structured my files

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDoris View Post
Incoming basic question...

I've created an ableton session and done some automation on a max device, but when opening the session back up the device can't be found. I'm able to paste the device on from elsewhere, but this leaves me without the automation I used on the initial device

I'm assuming it has something to do with the way I've saved/structured my files

Thanks for the help in advance!
So what's your question?

Just be sure to save the M4L device properly within a folder that is referenced by Ableton Live. M4L devices are not saved within projects. Best to put your collected M4L devices in a separate folder within your User Library.

I'm guessing you downloaded a M4L device, dragged and dropped it into your project, messed with it and automated it, saved the project, cleaned up your desktop/download folder and deleted the M4L device, opened up your project again, and bingo, the M4L device is missing.

So instead of immediately working with the M4L device after dragging it into a project, take that instance inside of the project and drag-and-drop it into the Browser and into the aforementioned folder. Delete the device in the project and then drag-and-drop the M4L back into the project from the Browser. As long as you don't delete that M4L device file, any project using it will always reference that location (i.e. the one in your User Library).
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Retra View Post
So what's your question?

Just be sure to save the M4L device properly within a folder that is referenced by Ableton Live. M4L devices are not saved within projects. Best to put your collected M4L devices in a separate folder within your User Library.

I'm guessing you downloaded a M4L device, dragged and dropped it into your project, messed with it and automated it, saved the project, cleaned up your desktop/download folder and deleted the M4L device, opened up your project again, and bingo, the M4L device is missing.

So instead of immediately working with the M4L device after dragging it into a project, take that instance inside of the project and drag-and-drop it into the Browser and into the aforementioned folder. Delete the device in the project and then drag-and-drop the M4L back into the project from the Browser. As long as you don't delete that M4L device file, any project using it will always reference that location (i.e. the one in your User Library).
Haha, I'm not sure I even knew. Thanks for the reply. That's it fixed. Ended up being that I saved it in the wrong place, essentially. Meaning it was saved elsewhere from my M4L device
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDoris View Post
Haha, I'm not sure I even knew. Thanks for the reply. That's it fixed. Ended up being that I saved it in the wrong place, essentially. Meaning it was saved elsewhere from my M4L device

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search