The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slight cut in fidelity when routing hardware sound to ableton.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Slight cut in fidelity when routing hardware sound to ableton.

Hi,

So I Plug my HW drum synth into focusrite scarlett audio inputs. Sound is nice so far. Then i route the signal in ableton and monitor abletons output. There is slight change in sound. Very small but it felt better before. Hihats are slightly nastier and so on. Sound gets sueezed to this pc virtual reality sounds stage, which is not quite there. What you think?
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak75 View Post
Hi,

So I Plug my HW drum synth into focusrite scarlett audio inputs. Sound is nice so far. Then i route the signal in ableton and monitor abletons output. There is slight change in sound. Very small but it felt better before. Hihats are slightly nastier and so on. Sound gets sueezed to this pc virtual reality sounds stage, which is not quite there. What you think?
That you need to look over any amplification stages. Any effects on the path? Clipping?

After this, attempt to nullify the signal with an absolutely minimal audio buffer. Use something simple like a kick, where any phasing would appear clearly.

If you can't make a useful comparison, because of timing differences, then record the input for say one bar, into another application, like OcenAudio, Audacity or similar (preferably a tool that you know intimately). Do the same recording into Live carefully making sure the levels are more or less the same and that the start is exactly the same.

You can compare in your audio app, by using 4 tracks, and after having switched the polarity of one recording, adjusting the levels and phase so that these match. If you can't get silence there might be a problem. Note though that two recordings may never match up exactly if the source is analogue in nature. A sample source is simpler to repeat and record exactly the same.

An alternative would be to instead making this a blind ABX test (double blind if possible). I've learnt quite a bit about my rig and digital audio with attempting nulls, so that would be my first step.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks man. Good ideas. There was no effects on the signal path and no clipping......but maybe I investigate gain stage litle more.....how it sounds vs original when it goes litle bit quieter to ableton. I might say the difference is litle bit similar what folks are trying to achieve with summing mixer......there is a bit more separation and depth in sound before it goes into ableton.......hard to put it into words. Nulling test is also an option, thanks!
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

may be obvious, and no insult, you do have warp disabled on the tracks you are routing correct?
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Warp can only be disabled from recorded audio........in this test I don’t record the signal....I just route it in ableton, and then compare the sound before and after routing..
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Warp can only be disabled from recorded audio........in this test I don’t record the signal....I just route it in ableton, and then compare the sound before and after routing..
I haven't noticed anything like that myself, I'm sure you've probably tested with other software to determine it's not interface and only happening in Ableton?
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

i have tested samplitude, it was more pro in sound qualit
Old 12th April 2019
Do us a favor. Record the plain signal, then the routed signal, then do a blind test, then post them if you still hear a difference.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
…was more pro in sound qualit
"Pro" is not a unit of measurement. It's a subjective statement prone to bias. Digital audio is not voodoo. These things can be measured down to individual samples or even in an analogue signal. Because of this fact, you can find the reason to existing audible and measurable differences.
Case in point is Ethan Weiner's The Null Tester.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Ok, thanks.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear
I forgot to mention the obvious which is Pan Law. My apologies, though this should be the first stop when experiencing these symptoms.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, haven’t investigated that.....have to check that......sub frequencys were the most obvious difference.....I just couldn’t get the same feel ....litle bit mojo was gone.....but.....recorded signal might have been too hot even though it looked healthy on the screen......havent have time to test.....thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search