The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to use outboard preamps in Ableton Live
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head

Best way to use outboard preamps in Ableton Live

So how would I go about setting this up without any phasing, latency issues?
If you want to wet/dry the processed signal do you need to use external instrument effect?
Old 2nd April 2019
I'm not sure what you're asking.
The Ableton website has a lot of information on how to use outboard gear --it discusses latency:

Using external hardware – Ableton
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
So how would I go about setting this up without any phasing, latency issues?
If you want to wet/dry the processed signal do you need to use external instrument effect?
…setting this up? What do we know what you're going to use the pre-amp for? Traditionally, you use a preamp prior to the audio interface, unless your audio interface has a built-in preamp. Right?

If you intend to send a signal out and back in again, then that's a job for "External Audio Effect". If this is used in a return track, make sure you don't have an enabled send to that return on any track receiving the signal from that same return. If enabled in such a track, you would introduce phasing issues.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
…setting this up? What do we know what you're going to use the pre-amp for? Traditionally, you use a preamp prior to the audio interface, unless your audio interface has a built-in preamp. Right?

If you intend to send a signal out and back in again, then that's a job for "External Audio Effect". If this is used in a return track, make sure you don't have an enabled send to that return on any track receiving the signal from that same return. If enabled in such a track, you would introduce phasing issues.
I wanna use external preamps to "reamp" and colour certain stereo busses by sending it out and back in again. Sometimes it's best to do it in parallel. Automatic delay compensation never seems to work.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
Automatic delay compensation never seems to work.
I've never encountered an issue with this. Did you address the send issue I mentioned?

Used "External Audio Effect" (EAE)? In order to Delay Compensation to work, the latencies involved sending a signal out for processing and back in again, must be known. Unless you use EAE, Live can't know that the signal going out is related to the one coming in, nor vice versa. At least not with less than you telling Live what the latency is.

If you still get the wrong latency readings you can use one of the third party solutions that allows you to enter the latency you measure yourself.

The best way to avoid phasing errors or similar in Live is to meet the problem directly and deal with it, either with automatic tools you trust or manually if this fails.

Last edited by Mikael B; 4th April 2019 at 12:19 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search