The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need advices for a new laptop for Ableton Live
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear

Need advices for a new laptop for Ableton Live

Hi,

I've been searching for weeks to find my next laptop for music production.
I use Ableton Live (9 for now, maybe 10 soon) a some VST/I's (some are really cpu hungry).

About the cpu, I was really undecided between i7-7700hq (4cores/4threads - 2.8Ghz=>3.8Ghz) and i7-8750h (6cores/12threads - 2.2Ghz=>4.1Ghz) but, after reading A LOT, I chose 8750h, even if the base clockspeed is low, it doesn't seem to be a problem for Live, even with a lot of vst/i's (any extra advices about it?)

Now I'm undecided between 2 brands:
-ASUS: I always bought them, last one a couple of years ago (not for DAW though), very satisfied with the overall quality)

-LENOVO: never got one but they seem to be very reliable, I was looking for this model: LENOVO PC portable gamer Legion Y530-15ICH Intel Core i7-8750H (81FV016QMB) PC portable

i7-8750h - 16Go DDR4 - 512 M.2 SSD - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (I don't care about the graphic card since I won't play any games but I'd like it not to overheat)

What do you think?
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Nut
Go the Asus.
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Go the Asus.
A specific reason?
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Nut
You don’t need the graphics card and you seem to happy with the ASUS computers you have used in the past. If they use the same cpu they will perform very similarly.

All things being equal get the cheaper one providing it has a solid state drive.
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear

Well the cheaper one is the Lenovo and it comes with a 512gig SSD and no hdd which would be perfect for adding a secondary sata SSD.
The Asus models I found (same cpu same ram) are a little more expensive but only 256gig SSD (512gig models are out of my budget) and have a hdd I don't really want...
So the real purpose of my post is to know if Lenovo is really as reliable as I read here and there and if Asus maybe went a little bit worse than in the past few years.
Sorry for my english
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut
Both should be reliable. The manufacturing processes have come along way in the past 10 to 15 years. If anything fails it will be attributed to a component that went bad as opposed to who made the laptop.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezer2005 View Post
So the real purpose of my post is to know if Lenovo is really as reliable
Well, maybe you're not like me, but as I see it Lenovo is out for all eternity after this company intentionally pre-installed malware in their machines in 2015. You can probably trust them… to continue to risk your privacy as well as your data.

No, not everyone does stuff like this. Apps, yes, but that's not malware, no matter how little you want it pre-installed. I'd feel comfortable with the Asus. I don't really understand why you only choose between these? There must be at least 50 options in the same price range, why not a second hand music laptop?

Last edited by Mikael B; 23rd March 2019 at 01:40 AM..
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut
I just looked it up it’s actually true.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
I don't really understand why you only choose between these? There must be at least 50 options in the same price range, why not a second hand music laptop?
I can't afford a Mac, I don't trust Acer and MSI and I had a bad experience with HP
Didn't know about that spyware story but do you really think they would still doing it now ?
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Nut
To be honest it wouldn’t worry me as long as could remove said spyware.

Scroll down and read the comments.

4 Security Reasons Why You Should Avoid Lenovo PCs

A little information about the Superfish Spyware from a few years back.

How to Remove Superfish Adware From Your Lenovo Computer | Electronic Frontier Foundation

It looks like it’s sorted now

Lenovo banned from installing bloatware on its laptops after Superfish | IT PRO

Last edited by jlam; 21st March 2019 at 03:15 AM..
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Maniac

According to many reviews the Legion series fans can get pretty loud. The X1 Extreme should be quite better and it was down to around $1300 USD for black friday.
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Macbook Pro I7.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies.
You have convinced me: I will stay away from Lenovo and go for an Asus.
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Nut

A few years ago I bought a Lenovo simply because I could open the back with a screwdriver and could upgrade the memory from 4 to 12 gb and stick an ssd in it instead of using the hdd.
Some years ago it was pretty normal that it was possible to open the back of a laptop and do some upgrades or repair, nowadays it is'nt.
Often you can find disassembly and upgrade videos on youtube to see how easy/difficult it is for the laptop you want to buy.
Never had a problem with my Lenovo since I bought it about 4 years ago and no much bloatware on it.
So I advise you to go for a laptop that is easy to open on the back and look for a fanless laptop with an i7 processor and not a gamers laptop because you don't need an expensive grapics card for audio.
Just pair your laptop with your audio interface and you're good to go.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Head

The Lenovo YOGA S730 looked interesting, there's a 16gb 512gb SSD model with a i7-8565U. The screen is a 13.3" which might not suit, but it looks pretty good to me.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post

It looks like it’s sorted now
Hahaha. It's not about your or anyone else's beliefs in "sorted". It's about trust and mine is gone since they did that. Once a company willingly do something like that their products cease to exist to me.

You can only remove what you know about. To think Levono "just gave up" is pretty naive. To me it's not about being careful, it's about that any company that do stuff like that can **** right off. It's easier with Macs, but Apple's hardware is not up to snuff at the moment and I suffer from it sometimes. Not to the point I can't make music though.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezer2005 View Post
I can't afford a Mac, I don't trust Acer and MSI and I had a bad experience with HP
Didn't know about that spyware story but do you really think they would still doing it now ?
I don't trust a company like that is all. Personally I'd go for the high end of the second hand market and make sure I could wipe the machine clean and install my own OS version. I hate when Toshiba force me to use their OEM version of Windows. They should give me the drivers when I buy the machine, the links to official updates and make their own software optional.

I'm still not convinced you looked over the market as you only mentioned 4 brands. There are quite a few more. I'd rather have a machine that's somewhat slower (older model with good price) and give me more possible control of what's on it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search