The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creating an 8-bar loop from sample and setting global tempo to it
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear

Angry Creating an 8-bar loop from sample and setting global tempo to it

I've been looking for hours and I can't find the answer to this seemingly basic question.

I have a two minute recording of a guitar arpeggio that was played without a metronome or click. What I want to do is to crop a slice of it, loop it, and tell Ableton to treat that slice as 8 bars and set the global tempo accordingly in session view.

There seems to be a way to use arrangement view to set the master tempo to the clip, but that's not what I need. I want to use the loop as the foundation of the song.

As you can see in the screenshots, the length of the cropped slice is 12.622 seconds. Split into 8 sections, that's the equivalent of 152.12 bpm (or 76.06 bpm, depending on how you want to count it). For whatever reason, Ableton thinks the clip is 120 bpm.

If I manually set the global tempo to 152.12 bpm, the clip matches the metronome, but because it's not in loop mode, it only plays through once and stops.

If I "loop current region", for some reason it then truncates the clip.

I don't want to warp the clip, I want the clip to determine the global tempo in session view. I'm at my wit's end. This should be super easy to do, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Creating an 8-bar loop from sample and setting global tempo to it-2019-03-11-screenshot-001.jpg   Creating an 8-bar loop from sample and setting global tempo to it-2019-03-11-screenshot-002.jpg  
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut

If global tempo of 152.12 matches the recording all the way when the warp is off, then you can turn the warping on and change the Seq BPM in clip detailed view to 152.12 so you can loop it.
Old 16th March 2019
Here for the gear

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing too. It's still a little wonky because you have to reposition the loop markers after the tempo change but it works.

It's still weird to me that I have to note the timing of the loop, pull out a calculator, do the math manually, and then type it back into Ableton. This seems like such a basic use case for it to handle automatically.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Nut

Yeah. Last year's Logic update does just what you ask which is very handy. When you import an audio file it asks if you want to change the project tempo to the audio file imported (Then it analyses and creates a tempo map) or vice versa. Wish it were in Live.
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisyfrog View Post
It's still weird to me that I have to note the timing of the loop, pull out a calculator, do the math manually, and then type it back into Ableton. This seems like such a basic use case for it to handle automatically.
Considering Live detects transients and have access to the amount of time of the original, the math to achieve this would appear to be trivial. There must be a request for this over at Ableton.Centercode.com, but I'm not aware of which one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search