The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I force Ableton's snap-to-grid to work properly?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Unhappy Can I force Ableton's snap-to-grid to work properly?

from the Live manual concerning Snap To Grid:

Quote:
Note movements will also snap to an “offset,” which is based on the original placement of the note relative to the grid. This is useful for preserving a groove or loose playing style that you do not necessarily want to “set straight.”
This is a prime example of feature bloat getting in the way of writing electronic music with a DAW.

When you're zoomed out it is impossible to see if the note has really snapped to the grid or if it's snapped to some offset...

is there a way to permanently disable this annoying behaviour?? I know I can just use quantize but I don't always want to do that....

Thanks

Last edited by Treebase DMX; 6 days ago at 08:14 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
from the Live manual concerning Snap To Grid:

This is a prime example of feature bloat getting in the way of writing electronic music with a DAW. Someone thought this would be a clever idea and added it in...

When moving recorded notes with the mouse I want to quickly drop them on the grid according to the current grid resolution. I make electronic music for dancing to, not jazz , and any offsets will be applied using swing or a groove template, not by playing them in live or fiddling around with the mouse!!!

When I enable "snap to grid" I don't want any offsets to "preserve a groove". I just want to drop notes on the grid without fiddling around with the mouse trying to bypass Ableton's cleverness that wants to preserve that offset which usually is just notes played out of time. When you're zoomed out it is impossible to see if the note has really snapped to the grid or if it's snapped to some f***ing offset...

is there a way to permanently disable this annoying behaviour?? Yes I know I can just use quantize but I don't always want to do that....

Thanks
If I understood well the issue, it happens with Logic Pro X too.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure you can just turn off the grid.... so things (audio or midi notes) will not lock to anything.....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The issue is that the snap-to-grid does not always in fact snap to grid.... This is an extremely clear example of how feature creep makes developers lose focus to the point where basic functionality is broken.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The issue is that the snap-to-grid does not always in fact snap to grid.... This is an extremely clear example of how feature creep makes developers lose focus to the point where basic functionality is broken.
You haven't actually presented us with an actual example. When was this last a problem for you? This has never been a problem for me. Not 8 years ago and not five minutes ago either. If I place notes I hear if they are in the wrong place. So I move them right. That's a few seconds.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It's a problem when I try to use the mouse to move notes around because sometimes they don't actually snap to the grid but to some offset that Live thinks I want to preserve. I was just asking if there's a way to disable that but looks like the only way is to stop using this lame DAW.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a problem when I try to use the mouse to move notes around because sometimes they don't actually snap to the grid but to some offset that Live thinks I want to preserve. I was just asking if there's a way to disable that but looks like the only way is to stop using this lame DAW.
are you talking about midi notes or transient markers placed on audio?

Ableton doesn't do anything different with midi then anything else in terms of preserving some "offset" unless you have set something up in some way... It's not on Ableton on this, can you post a picture so we might be able to better help you?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

MIDI notes. The quote in the OP is from the Live User Guide. What it means is that if you record some live played MIDI notes and some notes are off the grid, Live will remember that offset and notes will snap to it as well as the grid. This "clever" feature was added in Live 9. I just makes working with the mouse even more fiddly than it already is. I can nudge notes with the arrow keys but I still have to use the mouse to quickly select the notes in the first place so sometimes it's quicker to just use the mouse to move the notes as well... I don't always want to quantize and often want to manually move certain notes onto a certain grid subdivision.
It 's been confirmed by other users at Abelton's forum that there is no way to disable this feature.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

You can deactivate the offset for any MIDI note if you apply the set 1.1.1 here command. The offsets are necessary to be able to warp MIDI.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's a problem when I try to use the mouse to move notes around because sometimes they don't actually snap to the grid
OK, I think I've found what you mean. When a note started out not being on the grid, i e being offset, when you start moving it again and you move it with the arrow keys or the mouse sideways it will snap to the nearest quantize grid on the first snap and then to the same offset position again between notes. Then it will snap to the current grid quantize resolution again. A note not offset, starting out on the grid will move only to the next grid position according to resolution.

This is easily overcome but moving offset notes twice. If you have a selection of multiple notes, some which are not offset, the first move will place on the grid note on the nearest grid position, keep the relation to the offset notes moving with it, then on the next move only the offset notes will move.

I don't think this is stupid at all. On the contrary I think it displays a sensitive attention to detail and the reality of musical timing. A modern sequencer isn't a simple sheet.

But the manual describes this very incompletely so I will complain to support.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for your answers!
Quote:
I don't think this is stupid at all.
OK, the stupid part is not giving an option to disable it. When you're zoomed out and using 16ths or 32nds grids you can't see where the notes have snapped to....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search