The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
getting short MIDI loop to not retrigger
Old 11th February 2019
Deleted c74c961
getting short MIDI loop to not retrigger

i want a MIDI loop to keep running, except when it comes back round i don't want the sound to retrigger as if i pressed the keys again.

i dragged the MIDI note past the end point of the sequencer but it still retriggers so that i hear the transient again... i want to keep a sustained note going smoothly every loop as if i am manually holding down the key all the while.

i tried adjusting the markers every way i can think of but no luck.. argh!

is this possible please?
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Both the note start and the note end have to be outside the loop brace.
Old 12th February 2019
Deleted c74c961
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
Both the note start and the note end have to be outside the loop brace.
are you sure, maybe i am misunderstanding. i tried dragging the MIDI note before the start, but then it doesn't trigger at all (silence when press play)
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Yeah, forgot to mention the Clip's Start Marker has to be set before the note's note on, separate from the Loop Brace's Loop Start.

edit: YouTube
Old 12th February 2019
Deleted c74c961
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
Yeah, forgot to mention the Clip's Start Marker has to be set before the note's note on, separate from the Loop Brace's Loop Start.

edit: YouTube
thanks i made some headway

but it seems... with one single note... i need to start a bit early (before the sequencer starts) and then finish early (by the same amount) to make it an even 1 bar.

this has a very awkward knock on effect for other loops if i want them to all stay synced.

is this right?

i suppose i just copy/paste this loop as the template for my other loops then?

sorry if seems rambling... i attach a pic

retrigger — imgbb.com

edit: no this makes the loop shorter than 1 bar even though the wavestation plays smooth and continuously... so if it extend the end to the normal 1 bar limit for an even 1 bar, the wavestation still plays before everything else.

what am i missing? (except for a working brain)
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac
The Start and End Markers and the Loop Brace can be placed in nearly any place you want.

Not sure what you want to do, but just putting the markers into the common "musical" subdivisions should make it loop together with the other Clips, if those are in common time signatures.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

I think you want a “one shot” style on the clip. Turn LOOP off in clip settings (double click clip). You click the word “loop”. I think this is how but I am not at my desk.
Old 14th February 2019
Deleted c74c961
i know the exact button, but i DO want it to loop - just not retrigger the note next time around (keep playing sustained)

i can get it to do what i want now but the fact it is out of wack with the other loops is extremely annoying to my brain. probably not an issue in reality but it F***s me over. and i guess ableton didn't envision anyone wanting this 'feature'.

i think i will just make one big giant MIDI note for the entire length of my song... only problem is the "song" lasts several hours.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
i know the exact button, but i DO want it to loop - just not retrigger the note next time around (keep playing sustained)
So don't start the clip again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
i can get it to do what i want now but the fact it is out of wack with the other loops is extremely annoying to my brain. probably not an issue in reality but it F***s me over. and i guess ableton didn't envision anyone wanting this 'feature'.
Out of wack? Clips sync.

This is 2 bars playing starting in bar -1 repeating a 1 bar length of bar 1, but the loop can be of any length.

You mean the transportation meter? I've asked them to improve this years ago, but you can just ignore this. You need to realize that typically in Session a clip can be started at any point, which means clips started at different times are typically not in bar sync with each other anyway, so your concept of this is pretty pointless. If you want bar sync go to Arrangement view.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search