The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Converting slices to different wav. files Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th February 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Converting slices to different wav. files

Hi!

I have a TR-909 which I occasionaly record, where I just start to mess around and end up with a long audiofile of about 5 minutes. Now, when doing this, I really like the slice to midi function in Simpler, which allows me to quickly audition for example a a lot of different kicks from the same audiofile at a time.

I now want to take this method a step further and make a custom made 909 drumrack, where I can assign one complete sliced audiofile of say a kick to one drumpad and doing this same process for snare, Lowtom and so on.

Now, there is this method of choosing 128 different one shot drumsamples, import them in a Sampler, and distribute ranges equally, then assign the chain selector to a Macro so that you can output midi to one sample while quickly audition them at the same time. I want to use this method too with what I described above. Thing is....Simpler doesnt have the 'Distribute ranges equally' (probably because only Sampler allows you to import multiple samples at the same time) and Sampler doesnt have a slice-to-midi function

I figured that if I would be able to make loose Wav files out of slices in some way, this would solve all my problems. Is this possible?
Old 12th February 2019
  #2
Gear Maniac
To make a Drum Rack you can simply take the Simpler in Slice mode that you already created, right-click the waveform and select "Slice to Drum Rack" option.

For 128 separate one-shot audio files, just drop them straight into a Drum Rack. Use a Pitch device if you want to use a knob.
Old 12th February 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
To make a Drum Rack you can simply take the Simpler in Slice mode that you already created, right-click the waveform and select "Slice to Drum Rack" option.

For 128 separate one-shot audio files, just drop them straight into a Drum Rack. Use a Pitch device if you want to use a knob.
If you want sliced samples, you need to crop the sample in each Simpler as well.
Old 12th February 2019
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
To make a Drum Rack you can simply take the Simpler in Slice mode that you already created, right-click the waveform and select "Slice to Drum Rack" option.

For 128 separate one-shot audio files, just drop them straight into a Drum Rack. Use a Pitch device if you want to use a knob.
Thanks. I didnt think about the Pitch device, thats a nice option, but I do not see how I achieve 128 one shot audiofiles as WAV with your method.
Old 12th February 2019
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
If you want sliced samples, you need to crop the sample in each Simpler as well.
Thanks, but doing this for each seperate Simpler costs way to much time LOL. There must be some way to work around this?
Old 12th February 2019
  #6
Gear Maniac
I don't really see the point of splitting the WAV files when you can use Simpler and Drum Racks.

Having said that, you can right-click the 5 min sample and select "Slice to New MIDI Track" (can be done even in the Browser), then in the resulting dialog pick an option that slices to a Sampler (instead of the default "Built-in" option that slices to a Drum Rack).

Then in the resulting Sampler you unfold the Zone, select all slices, right-click and select "Crop Sample", it will create a cropped sample for each slice in a "Crop" folder inside the current project's Sample folder.
Old 15th February 2019
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
I don't really see the point of splitting the WAV files when you can use Simpler and Drum Racks.

Having said that, you can right-click the 5 min sample and select "Slice to New MIDI Track" (can be done even in the Browser), then in the resulting dialog pick an option that slices to a Sampler (instead of the default "Built-in" option that slices to a Drum Rack).

Then in the resulting Sampler you unfold the Zone, select all slices, right-click and select "Crop Sample", it will create a cropped sample for each slice in a "Crop" folder inside the current project's Sample folder.
For example you can slice a drum loop on arrange by grid or transient without warping and creating an instrument device for it.
And then mute, transpose, stretch, reverse etc certain slices, move for example snares to it's own track etc. Lots of useful situations. I use it all the time with Studio One and it is really handy.
Old 17th February 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
For example you can slice a drum loop on arrange by grid or transient without warping and creating an instrument device for it.
And then mute, transpose, stretch, reverse etc certain slices, move for example snares to it's own track etc. Lots of useful situations. I use it all the time with Studio One and it is really handy.
Yeah, but there's no sensitivity setting for adding slice points, especially no automation for this if warp is off. So this is all manual which I don't think is what the OP wants.

AFAIK there would be no difference slicing with warp on and then turning it off, but I haven't tried that as of yet. I think it's faster in Simpler because of sensitivity.
Old 1st March 2019
  #9
Drag the file to slice to Sampler. Drag the Sampler to User/Defaults/splice to create a new slice template. Slice the sample to MIDI using that template. Click on Zones, select all the zones, right-click and crop samples. You can then access the resulting wave files in the browser or via Explorer/Finder.
Old 1st March 2019
  #10
This is of course after recording the original drums. When you do that, leave enough space for the tails, but no more. Also, check the zones in the sliced file before cropping. Forgot to mention that. Also, leave a little space at the beginning of the recorded file. Slice to midi will often miss a transient at the very beginning.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
iangomes / Music Computers
4
JC Biffro / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
3
subaltern / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
4
KenRutkowski / Music Computers
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump