The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crackly plug ins: Analog Labs, Roland Cloud
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Maniac
Crackly plug ins: Analog Labs, Roland Cloud

Wondering if anybody has experienced issues with crackle type sounds using these 2 plug ins, or maybe others?

Seems to happen mostly when I zoom into the interfaces so I can read the fonts more easily and play 4 keys together, or move the plug in interface around.

That to me seems to suggest it's the computer, but the strange thing, to me at least, is that according to Ableton, i'm only using up to 30% of the processing abilities, which to me suggests this shouldn't be happening because there's over 70% processing power to spare.

It's a pretty old Imac 27 though from 2011 and running 10.11.6, but it's got upgraded graphics card and 18gb of ram.

Another possibility might be the Komplete Kontrol mk2 keyboard. Analog Labs worked fine with the Essential 49 keyboard and i don't remember there being any crackle at all, but to me it seems unlikely, so maybe i've missed something else?
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post

That to me seems to suggest it's the computer, but the strange thing, to me at least, is that according to Ableton, i'm only using up to 30% of the processing abilities, which to me suggests this shouldn't be happening because there's over 70% processing power to spare.
The CPU load only indicates how much the audio engine uses, which is not in a 1:1 relationship to things like graphics — in Live 10 this should all be handled by the graphics card —or audio timing. Also, it's sufficient to overload one core out of your four to experience crackling. Each track in most DAWs, if not all, belongs to one core. Any one core can handle multiple instruments depending on how many you use. Background tasks also affect this. It's a good idea to turn off all other apps and your Network all together (I've made a network profile that turns all off).

The best indicator to see if this is CPU overload is to adjust your audio buffer to a multiple (256 > 512 > 1024 and so). If this helps it's possible that the CPU was overloaded. If this doesn't help, it's more likely to be something else.

I can mention that I've noticed that some instruments may trigger CPU overload, which typically is more severe in more demanding patches as well, more quickly than others.

You ought to contemplate upgrading to 10.12 or later as OS X 10.9 to 10.11 contains a CoreAudio bug fixed in 10.12 and later. This could affect your issue or be unrelated.

Is this the 2.7 or 3.1 GHz i5 or is it the 3.4 GHz i7?

Last edited by Mikael B; 5th January 2019 at 02:25 PM..
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
The CPU load only indicates how much the audio engine uses, which is not in a 1:1 relationship to things like graphics — in Live 10 this should all be handled by the graphics card —or audio timing. Also, it's sufficient to overload one core out of your four to experience crackling. Each track in most DAWs, if not all, belongs to one core. Any one core can handle multiple instruments depending on how many you use. Background tasks also affect this. It's a good idea to turn off all other apps and your Network all together (I've made a network profile that turns all off).

The best indicator to see if this is CPU overload is to adjust your audio buffer to a multiple (256 > 512 > 1024 and so). If this helps it's possible that the CPU was overloaded. If this doesn't help, it's more likely to be something else.

I can mention that I've noticed that some instruments may trigger CPU overload, which typically is more severe in more demanding patches as well, more quickly than others.

You ought to contemplate upgrading to 10.12 or later as OS X 10.9 to 10.11 contains a CoreAudio bug fixed in 10.12 and later. This could affect your issue or be unrelated.

Is this the 2.7 or 3.1 GHz i5 or is it the 3.4 GHz i7?
Thanks Mikael B,

I dropped the buffer from 32 to 64 and now the J8 and Juno 106 are crackle free, even with 8 voices on the J8 (which i'm not making use of)

I didn't know about the improved audio drivers from 10.12 onwards, but I think i've got software that isn't supported beyond 10.11, so will have to risk crossing that bridge when 10.12 becomes a minimum spec for something I really want. Saying that, I doubt Apple will allow me to install it anyway as it isn't in my 'Purchased' items in the App store, as I tend not to update when everything is working fine.

It's a 3.1Ghz i5 and it's good to know there's still life in it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search