The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ableton live final render clipping question
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Head

ableton live final render clipping question

So I'm about to do a final render.
There are about 30 tracks going into the master bus.
Master bus peaks/clips at +0.1.

Is it harmful to the mix, even in the slightest, if instead of isolating and fixing the few spots where the mix clips, to just take the master bus and back it off by 0.2 db? So it would then peak at -0.1 db.

Does this affect the summing, quality of the render, anything like that

Thanks a lot gang.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear
That's an acceptable method provided you actually aren't clipping also on the way somewhere going into a plug-in/device. The same goes for selecting all earlier fades and lowering one of them.
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Head

i actually did adjust some of the tracks in the mix to get it from +0.3 to 0.0 but still not low enough.
that's when i was like F it i'm just gonna take the master down. just didnt know if that would affect the mix in a negative way.
i doubted it would because that seems unlikely with digital but when u spend the amount of time on a track like i did on this one, you're gonna make damn sure...

i'm going to use the ableton live utility plugin on the master bus to bring the master gain down
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpowmeow View Post

i'm going to use the ableton live utility plugin on the master bus to bring the master gain down

Because I gain stage every single track all the way, this is pretty much how I regulate master volume. Though, I use other tools.
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Nut

Just bring your Master-Fader down a couple of db, or use a gain plugin! You can turn the Loudness of your mix up to 11 & beyond, later! (Limiting Clipping etc.) Just have some mercy with your Mixbus, and give it some headroom to breath!
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
You can turn the Loudness of your mix up to 11 & beyond, later! (Limiting Clipping etc.) Just have some mercy with your Mixbus, and give it some headroom to breath!
I'm not sure what you mean specifically — I'm assuming mastering — but the best place to achieve "loudness" (which is a human experience) is indeed in the mix. This has more to do with the content of the mix, than the actual measurable dBFS level going out. Especially if you expect to go up against loudness standards in streaming or other formats.
Old 19th December 2018
Here for the gear

if it's just a momentary clip it's not a big deal as long as your limiter is on the master to catch it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search