The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on Max4Live?
Old 3rd December 2018
Thoughts on Max4Live?

I'm sizing up Ableton Live for a purchase. I still currently use Reaktor and have been for a while, but my main issue with it has been the way it integrates into recording platforms. Also having to make duplicate files saved outside of a session.

The demo version of Live doesn't have the full Max4Live library so some of the tools I was hoping to check out (especially the mono sequencer) aren't included I'm going to have to wait on trying them out.

I'm curious what you guys experience with it has been like. I would especially like some feedback from those who have worked with Reaktor. Does it give you anything that you consider a crucial part of Live as a whole? How well integrated into Live is it?
Old 3rd December 2018
Even if you haven’t played with Reaktor, I still want your opinion. Has Max been a big contributor to your song writing or not?
Old 3rd December 2018
Here for the gear

massive Ableton user here. I use Max4Live on a daily basis, mainly as an add on of Ableton plugins and functions tailored for my needs.
For example, I use OSC a lot for customized remote controllers, use useful sidechain plugins, route and link channels and much more.
I don't use it as a synth, but it can be very powerful on that side.
What I like about it is that lets you customize Ableton in many ways, and it's still integrated i the daw.
Old 3rd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Line View Post
massive Ableton user here. I use Max4Live on a daily basis, mainly as an add on of Ableton plugins and functions tailored for my needs.
For example, I use OSC a lot for customized remote controllers, use useful sidechain plugins, route and link channels and much more.
I don't use it as a synth, but it can be very powerful on that side.
What I like about it is that lets you customize Ableton in many ways, and it's still integrated i the daw.
Were these tools that you use already in the user library or did you have to download them? Or both?
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear

I use M4L plug-ins a lot. They were all free, many from 3rd party developers and do everything from utility work to FX. I also like the fact that if you want to, you can design your ownM4L devices. Integration is perfect in my experience....meaning, they work like any other plug in with the added benefit that if you want to open the hood and do stuff, you can. I use Reaktor a bunch and in my opinion, they're very different animals.
Old 5th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjochems78 View Post
Were these tools that you use already in the user library or did you have to download them? Or both?
I'd say both. I bought some but you can find very good quality free stuff. And Live comes with a very good m4L library.
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjochems78 View Post
I'm sizing up Ableton Live for a purchase. I still currently use Reaktor and have been for a while, but my main issue with it has been the way it integrates into recording platforms. Also having to make duplicate files saved outside of a session.

The demo version of Live doesn't have the full Max4Live library so some of the tools I was hoping to check out (especially the mono sequencer) aren't included I'm going to have to wait on trying them out.

I'm curious what you guys experience with it has been like. I would especially like some feedback from those who have worked with Reaktor. Does it give you anything that you consider a crucial part of Live as a whole? How well integrated into Live is it?
I use quite a few MFL MIDI tools and also some MFL audio effects, that I think have high quality. Many are free but I've paid for several as well. Some came with the MFL installation or come as packs with the MFL license. I have Standard plus MFL. you don't really save any money not using Suite that come with MFL, but I can't be bothered even dealing with it. I got what I need.

To me Reaktor is a great instrument environment and while you can have audio effects and MIDI tools there as well they are within Reaktor. MFL devices are used wherever you want them. While you likely can do that with Reaktor it's not something I do.

I don't think I've encountered even one MFL instrument that amounted to anything, certainly not compared to Reaktor.
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I stopped learning how to make plugins with Max, I have to have it for the extra plugins I get with it. Some really good midi plugins.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search