The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sync Video With Live Performance
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Sync Video With Live Performance

So I’ve been researching for days on a solution to my situation, but can’t come up with anything solid yet. I hoping you guys can help me out.

Disclaimer - I am currently not using Ableton Live, I am using Digital Performer. DP is a very capable DAW, however, there is virtually no info or support for it online that I can find that is of any use, so I’m coming to you Ableton users in hopes I can find help.

Problem:
I am the sound engineer for a band and am looking to gain more flexibility with our backing tracks as we are in a transitional stage where members are coming and going regularly. The system that was given to me uses the good ole’ Click Left and Tracks Right technique, but like I said, with members coming and going I would like the ability to mute and unmute the parts we need or don’t need instead of having to re-bounce a new version of each song every time a member comes or goes.

This is an easy fix if I was dealing with only audio, but I’m not; we also use video for our live performances that MUST sync properly with the music. We also create different song arrangements and song medleys, which again currently requires us to re-bounce and re-edit both the audio and video to then put them together.

This is very inefficient and doesn’t leave us much flexibility on the road.

Goal:
I have figured out how to configure DP in a way that I can import stems only once, unmute what I want, and then create an infinite amount of song arrangements and medleys without the process of remixing and bouncing and putting it to video.

What I must figure out now is how I can do the same with video. I want any edits I make to our song to be reflected in our video, but DP does not handle video in this way. So, my thoughts are that I will need to be using a different software that will play our video files. And in addition to this, the videos will have to be triggered via MIDI cues sent by DP to play the correct parts of the each song depending on the arrangement.

Sorry for the long post…. But can any of you help me with this? Audio is my bread n’ butter, but when it comes to video I am pretty inexperienced.

Thanks!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyleesharp View Post
we also use video for our live performances that MUST sync properly with the music. We also create different song arrangements and song medleys, which again currently requires us to re-bounce and re-edit both the audio and video to then put them together.…

So, my thoughts are that I will need to be using a different software that will play our video files. And in addition to this, the videos will have to be triggered via MIDI cues sent by DP to play the correct parts of the each song depending on the arrangement.
Isn't what you need simply a VJ application that syncs to MTC or SMPTE? Assuming DP can send this out. Most such software I imagine will respond to MIDI notes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search