The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why did I buy this piece of hardware? And things to add to Ableton Live DAW Software
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Why did I buy this piece of hardware? And things to add to Ableton Live

Recently picked up a Push to go along with Ableton (Live 9 intro), after not using the DAW for over a year....and I absolutely love the workflow and the sounds I'm getting out of the software instruments. When I purchased the Push (I went w/ a Push 1 b/c of my system requirements (only a dual core and 4GB ram)), I decided to add a piece of hardware (0-Coast) as well. Now I'm wondering why did I do that, as I can pretty much get any sound out of Ableton that I want. Patching the synth is fun but I would rather use my time in other ways....long story short, I'll probably sell it and buy other things...

So, what are some things I can add to Ableton? I don't have an audio interface yet but not sure if I really need one as I don't plan to add hardware. Maybe a software synth or two? Another midi controller? Or possibly just upgrade to Suite (haven't look into the upgrade paths yet...). Or maybe simply upgrade to Intro 10 and add the Wavetable synth? I would think the Intro 10 was eligible to buy the Wavetable? Essentially, what can I buy for $400 or so to complete this simple setup of Ableton & Push 1.....maybe make it a little more powerful. I don't need the cash for anything else so definitely spending it on music making stuff.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

If you really enjoy working in the box (or within the push), I suggest you just upgrade to Suite. Suite adds plenty of effects, instruments, and samples to play with.

After that, If you don't have a midi keyboard, I highly recommend getting one. In my opinion, the keyboard is far more intuitive to play melodies and chords than pressing the pads on the Push.
Old 6 days ago
O Coast is very interesting. I would stick with it for a while longer.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
O Coast is very interesting. I would stick with it for a while longer.
I might give it a bit longer...at this point, still not sure I really need it. Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonic View Post
If you really enjoy working in the box (or within the push), I suggest you just upgrade to Suite. Suite adds plenty of effects, instruments, and samples to play with.

After that, If you don't have a midi keyboard, I highly recommend getting one. In my opinion, the keyboard is far more intuitive to play melodies and chords than pressing the pads on the Push.
Yes, I enjoy working in the box and especially with Push.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but looks like an upgrade ($599) from Ableton 9 Intro to 10 Suite isn't available and it'll cost me the same as someone who was purchasing for the first time ($700+). So unfortunately, I'm going to pass on that as I don't want to spend much more.

The upgrade to 10 Intro and pick up the Wavetable would be an option, I think. And pick up a decent midi controller as I totally agree having a proper black/white keyboard is way more intuitive for chords/melodies. Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadutol View Post
So, what are some things I can add to Ableton? I don't have an audio interface yet
Just get one. Halved latencies with the same buffer settings compared to native audio circuits are not unheard of.

I hadn't heard of the 0-Coast before, but a monosynth with hands-on control is worth gold if you like its sound. one of my friends have built full tracks with only one Korg mono-synth. The 0-Coast may be more specialized, I don't really know, so it's your call.

Beside this I'd suggest it's better to try out demos of interesting software synths and work the second hand market (or jump on sales) here for upgrades to Live Standard (9 should be considerably cheaper than 10) and such synthesizers, than trying to upgrade to Suite.

Wavetable, while an inspiring wavetable synth, does not really compare to other wavetable synths out there. At 129 Ableton's Wavetable is overpriced for what it does compared to what the competition, Serum, Codex, Massive, MassiveX and so on, can do for you. It's not even low on CPU.

Suite is nice, but all you need to make music all the way to mastering is already in Standard. Wavetable may be a useful addition if one really want Suite for some reason, but the other instruments coming with Suite are not very strong and basically all of those need updating or getting replaced.
Old 5 days ago
Yeah, in terms of priorities on a budget - a good second hand interface and an upgrade to standard Live.
Mousing around and looking at a screen all day gets tiring, so I would definitely keep the hardware synth for now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search