The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NOOB* Mainstage to Ableton question
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

*NOOB* Mainstage to Ableton question

Hey Everybody!

Thanks in advance to those who can help.

Been a Mainstage User for 3 years now, but its too unstable and for long-term growth for my live shows: I'm looking to Ableton.

Heres how I perform:
no looping, just my vocals and cello into an audio interface for effects, reverb, and a backing track. All three are loaded into Mainstage on separate channels. When Im done with one song, I move to the next "patch" in my "setlist" (Mainstage hierarchy terms). It will be a fluid motion to a whole new set of channel strips with the appropriate effects and backing track.
I can store this in one single project file, but I can also export the patches to mix and match into other project files.

Problem:
How Do I recreate this setup in Ableton so that I can move fluidly? I can load multiple playing tracks into clip view, but I can't figure out how to simultaneously change the Effects used on my audio inputs. I could really appreciate duplicating that Export function too.

Heres a link to screenshot:
Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 3.11.01 PM.png - Google Drive

Last edited by Nnekalyn1; 1 week ago at 08:28 PM.. Reason: forgot link
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've just moved from Mainstage to Ableton too. You won't get the same workflow here. Ableton is more backing track, midi switching and looping friendly. You should take a look at clips in session view and automatition in arrangement view. Automatition will help you change settings in channel strips handsfree.
Definately Ableton lacks this setlist function, but automatition is a way around. Apart fro6 that, I do not regret switching to Ableton, it is a professional tool, mainstage is a beta app if you take stability into concideration.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

damn, but thats what I feared.

I will wait it out until Mainstage 4 then, this setup is invaluable to me.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Don't wait for MS4. Look at the price, MS is 30$ and Live is 1000$. Good products are valueable and are produced by professionals who value their work. MS is a toy, nobody is working there on MS improvements. You should learn Live instead of looking for MS functionalities in Live
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrzak View Post
Don't wait for MS4. Look at the price, MS is 30$ and Live is 1000$. Good products are valueable. MS is a toy, nobody is working there on MS improvements. You should learn Live instead of looking for MS functionalities in Live

But If I can't get the same solution out of a product that is more than 10 times??

It doesnt have to be the same way, but I need the same end goal. I havent found any videos on automating Audio FX changes so I guess I'll gamble with MS3. No point in trying to have 8 different Ableton projects open either lol
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Look, record a track, then record automation during which you can do whatever you want in that track/channel. When you play the track with recorded automatition it'll all be there in the timeline.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrzak View Post
Look, record a track, then record automation during which you can do whatever you want in that track/channel. When you play the track with recorded automatition it'll all be there in the timeline.
Yeah...youre not getting it.
I already use Ableton in recording, actually. I'm familiar with the universal concept of tracking automation.

You know how a guitarist with a rack module can save custom patches and then switch back and forth between them? I want to do that in Ableton during a live set. I already can do that in MS3.

I know Ableton was designed by and for electronic musicians, but its so CPU efficient that I've been trying to make it work to no avail.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I am getting it, but I also was looking for substitutes. You could also add a folder in browser (in the left) and store patches there, although switching forth and back is not as quick as in MS.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnekalyn1 View Post
You know how a guitarist with a rack module can save custom patches and then switch back and forth between them? I want to do that in Ableton during a live set. I already can do that in MS3.
You can "Hot-Swap" presets.

It is the round button in the top right of all devices, with 2 arrows making a circle, looks like a "recycle" logo.

Keyboard shortkey is "Q".

It appears in some other places too, like in the bottom right of Simpler's Sample Display when you hover the mouse cursor over it (since you can hot-swap samples in Simpler too).

Managing Files and Sets — Ableton Reference Manual Version 10
| Ableton

(several parts of the manual mention Hot-Swapping and how it applies to the topic of that part of the manual)

You can also use Chain Selectors inside Racks to change presets. In that case the presets are pre-loaded.

Instrument, Drum and Effect Racks — Ableton Reference Manual Version 10
| Ableton

MIDI Racks can hold MIDI effects, Audio Effects Racks can hold Audio FX, but Instrument Racks can hold anything, a Chain in a Instrument Rack can have a multiple MIDI FX (including generators like step sequencers) + one or more instruments + multiple Audio FX.

A Chain inside a Rack can hold other Racks that have other Chains inside, it is near limitless.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnekalyn1 View Post
Hey Everybody!

Thanks in advance to those who can help.

Been a Mainstage User for 3 years now, but its too unstable and for long-term growth for my live shows: I'm looking to Ableton.

Heres how I perform:
no looping, just my vocals and cello into an audio interface for effects, reverb, and a backing track. All three are loaded into Mainstage on separate channels. When Im done with one song, I move to the next "patch" in my "setlist" (Mainstage hierarchy terms). It will be a fluid motion to a whole new set of channel strips with the appropriate effects and backing track.
I can store this in one single project file, but I can also export the patches to mix and match into other project files.

Problem:
How Do I recreate this setup in Ableton so that I can move fluidly? I can load multiple playing tracks into clip view, but I can't figure out how to simultaneously change the Effects used on my audio inputs. I could really appreciate duplicating that Export function too.

Heres a link to screenshot:
Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 3.11.01 PM.png - Google Drive
For what you want to do, Digital Performer is definitely better suited.

You can have different sequences (chunks), each with its own (or shared) V-racks for your vocals and Cello. All set up in a playlist and ready to go.

DP is rock solid and for playing backing tracks live, nothing can touch it. Live is super as a live performing tool but for playing backing tracks/play list type, it's doable but nowhere as elegant.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search